Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A+ Certification Courses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iAvison

iAvison

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi guys, 

I need some advice on my career planning. This year, I've graduated from highschool. During grade 12, I've taken a co-op course where I've been a hardware technician at a small computer business. They liked how I was working, so they decided to offer me a summer job. Personally I think it's a great opportunity for me to take because when I looked at job postings, they mostly require 1-2 years of experience. My plan as of now is to get the experience from working with this company, and then go back to school for certification preparation. 

However, since I am limited to only doing hardware repairs, my boss wants me to start expanding my knowledge so I could help with remote calls, service calls and such, while the other technicians are extremely busy. He also told me that he would help out with covering the costs required to get my certification that I decide to obtain first. After researching, I figured that getting the A+ certification would be good to start off with. After getting the A+ certification, I would go to a local college for the "Computer and Network Support Technician" program, hopefully leading into my Network+ certification. 

Do you guys think this is a good plan to get my career going? If so, what A+ certification courses online would you suggest? I have found CareerStep as one of the best options thus far because of their reviews, interface, and curriculum.

Any advice will help!! Thank you

Edited by iAvison, 07 September 2014 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

It depends how much you already know and you learn.  I prefer the Exam Cram books when I study and pair them with the Transcender practice exams.  I'd recommend against going to the college unless you get a degree from the program.  There is no added benefit getting the training from a college over self study when it comes to applying for a job if you don't get a degree to go with it.

#3 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

To be honest, you do not need to take any classes to get your A+ certification.
I have many friends that passed the test using nothing but free Online study materials.

I personally used a combination of material to study for the A+ certification. There are also a wide variety of completely free resources available if you spend some time googling it.

1. Professor Messer CompTIA A+ 220-801 Certification Videos
A great set of Free video's made by Professor Messer. He goes into detail on all topics that will be on the test.
I would strongly suggest checking him out!

2. Professor Messer CompTIA A+ 220-801 Certification Study Guides
All the information contained within these can easily be gotten from other resources.

However, I personally liked how compact and straight forward they are.

3.) CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)

This book will go over everything you need to know for the exam and comes with containing free practice tests.
However, I found that some technical knowledge is needed to understand some of the explanations.
(But since you are already working as a technitian you should be fine.)

4.) Techexams.net
This site has some great examples and explanations in their A+ certification sections.
However it may be a bit lacking when it comes to some of the newer technologies.

Hope this helps you get started.

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

I agree with the others. In short SAVE YOUR MONEY. I can't tell you how many parents tell me about how proud they are of their kid taking a $10,000 class for their A+ exam. I just shake my head. I said for $100-plus you can get Transcenders, take notes, make notes where you were wrong and learn why, then keep doing it till you get 90% or above consistently without ever looking at your notes. When you do, take the test. 

Honestly, the test is a POC, however it's still a prerequisite for many jobs. I can say when I studied/took it around 1998/1999 it was a huge help. I went into IT completely cold not knowing crap; I was even afraid to change a floppy drive. After studying for that test I learned about things that carried over to the job: example would be IRQ's. However, things I studied for such as IRQ's you no longer need to be concerned about. Then again I heard the test has changed significantly since my day except they still do the system board portion and figuring what part is for what. You can learn that faster by building a computer IMHO. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users