Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It started as a fan replacement - The Sequel...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ribboncable

ribboncable

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

It actually started merely as trying to get to the fan to see if it had been clogged by dust, but anyways...

I attempted to do this with a Compaq Presario CQ50 laptop.  I was doing all right in the opening up process, but then, when lifting up the keyboard and panel, I had to disconnect the ribbon cable from the power button to the mother board.

It looks a little messed at the power button end - a couple copper prongs seem a little off...  But where I think I screwed up is at the mother board end.  The cable originally slipped into a white plastic housing and seemed to be held in place from above with a long, wide piece of black plastic that just pops out but doesn't seem to pop back in.

I pretty gently pulled the ribbon cable out - took very little force for something I perhaps wasn't supposed to do.  It left the black "top part" still in the white housing.  When I began to suspect things had gone awry, I easily pulled the black part out of the white part.  Now I can't get the black part to stay back in, nor can I get the ribbon cable secured in there.

I did my best with what I had and reassembled, but pushing the power button now does nothing.

I came across a thread on here where a guy went through something similar, though he may have had a different connector - I'm not sure.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/384410/it-started-as-a-fan-replacementsigh-hp-g60-125/

I am presently unable to send any pictures, as this laptop being out of commission leaves me with only the backup computer I am currently using, which barely even allows me to login to and post on this forum.  Anything more complicated is out of the question at the moment.

I welcome any advice and really hope I can DIY my way out of this mess.

Any help is really appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Those ribbon cables and their connectors can be a real problem when they get heated.  They tend to get brittle and fracture along the stress points.  If the cable is pushed in too far, the lock ring can't lock.  Be sure the ribbon cable end is straight and clean.  With the lock collar pulled up, "gently insert the cable end until it stops, don't push.  Then gently reseat the collar.  If that doesn't lock, replacement is expensive.  I've done the repair but it is very tedious and is a 50 - 50 repair, sometimes it still doesn't work.

#3 ribboncable

ribboncable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

I'm not even sure how to get the black part to stay in the white part now, even if I take the ribbon cable out of the equation...

Is this cable generally the same between different kinds of laptops?  I have a completely dead one I could disassemble and ravage, in case this one is wrecked.

Edited by ribboncable, 07 September 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#4 Wesker1984

Wesker1984

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Those things are awfully fiddly, if it is one of those really small ones (about 7 or 8mm wide) then the lock is not meant to be pulled out but merely flipped upwards as it is on a hinge. It is possible to reseat the thing if you haven't actually broken it but it is not easy, look for tiny holes where the ends should slot in. If it is bigger (around 2cm or so), which I doubt because the power button ones are usually small, and you have pulled it completely away then I think you're buggered. The thing to remember about laptops is to be extremely careful as unlike desktops which have a few standards which are uniform, every model of laptop is different and the ribbon connectors are fragile as hell.

Edited by Wesker1984, 07 September 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#5 ribboncable

ribboncable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Those things are awfully fiddly, if it is one of those really small ones (about 7 or 8mm wide) then the lock is not meant to be pulled out but merely flipped upwards as it is on a hinge. It is possible to reseat the thing if you haven't actually broken it but it is not easy, look for tiny holes where the ends should slot in. If it is bigger (around 2cm or so), which I doubt because the power button ones are usually small, and you have pulled it completely away then I think you're buggered. The thing to remember about laptops is to be extremely careful as unlike desktops which have a few standards which are uniform, every model of laptop is different and the ribbon connectors are fragile as hell.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah it measures at about 8mm.

It really just popped out like it was never hinged.  Obviously this is all due to my mistakes, but I seriously never applied the kind of force that one would expect to break even delicate parts.

Guess I'll keep trying to reattach it and turn it on...

#6 ribboncable

ribboncable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

I am trying the "tin foil in the empty port" trick to see if I can simulate the power button being effectively pressed.

It's not working off of battery and I don't know if the battery is dead or if this laptop was even able to run from battery power (it may have deteriorated to the point where it must be plugged in the wall to even start - this has happened to me with cruddy laptops before).

My understanding is that this circuit is very low voltage...  BUT...

Is it dangerous to do this tin foil trick while the computer is plugged into the wall?

I don't want to end up on the Darwin Awards, but I do want to know if the circuitry is working well enough to use this option effectively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users