Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you simply Copy an iso CD to another CD?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

I no longer have the original iso file I downloaded that I created my CD iso from. It would take me a long time to DL the iso file again.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Short answer  - yes.

You can do it either of two ways - direct copy from one disc to another if you have two CD/DVD drives, or copy the ISO file onto your hard drive and then burn it to another disc.

If you want to convert the ISO file to a computer usable format then you will need to copy it to your hard drive and use software like ImageBurn to convert it to usable files.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thanks. I think I tried to copy the one cd to another but it wanted to burn it (win 8).

I'm not sure how to Copy an entire CD to my HD. Do I create a new Folder and then copy the contents of the iso cd into it, then do I copy that new folder onto the new CD?

I don't have the original iso FILE anymore, just the CD that the iso was created onto.

Edited by brian2009, 07 September 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

I no longer have the original iso file I downloaded that I created my CD iso from.

Perhaps if you were to describe what this ISO and/or CD is someone will be in a better positions to advise you.  Telling us the name of this ISO and it purpose will be a good start.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:46 PM

I tried to copy the one cd to another but it wanted to burn it (win 8).

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying, "burn" is just the normal term for writing a CD. If you have a CD created from an ISO, you should simply be able to copy the CD, being created from an ISO originally is no longer relevant.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

Agree with Platypus, any burned CD can be simply copied to another CD/DVD.

The .iso file is originally burned to CD/DVD...to facilitate running whatever files are on the .iso.  Once it is burned to CD/DVD...it's just like any other CD/DVD.

Louis

#7 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

The iso files on the cd are the burned iso of a distribution file of a Linux operating system (puppy linux).

The original file was: precise-5.7.1-retro.iso

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

So what is actually on the CD in question, iso files (files of the form filename.iso) or Linux installation files (so you can boot from the CD and install Puppy)?

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2014 - 08:41 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

If I am understanding you correctly, you have a CD with the Puppy ISO package precise-5.7.1-retro.iso on it. This means you have one large file on the disc. The simplest way to get it onto your hard drive is to start by putting the disc in your player. If Autorun tries to do anything stop it. Open Windows Explorer, create a convenient folder somewhere, and drag the .IsO file from the CD/DVD drive into the folder on your hard drive. You now have a copy of the .ISO file on your hard drive as well as the CD.

To use the Puppy install files, the .ISO file needs to be broken up into its components and you will need software like ImageBurn to do it. You can get ImageBurn, a free download, from here -

http://www.imgburn.com/

And you then use ImageBurn to burn - ie write - the files to another disc. You then have an install copy of Puppy which will run quite happily in any optical drive.

If the CD you have has the install files as opposed to an ISO image, then you can just drag ALL the files on it to a folder on your hard drive and you can then burn them to a new CD with Windows Explorer. I know it works, I've tried it, but my own preference for burning data discs is to use something like FreeEasyBurner.

I hope this makes the process clearer.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users