Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen is broken, was using external monitor, but that stopped working.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rylarra

rylarra

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

I recently received my ex's old laptop, which is pretty good and I enjoy using it despite the crap I have to go through to make it work. The internal fan is broken, so I have to sit the laptop on a large box fan so it doesn't overheat within twenty minutes. So far, that's worked fine. I keep it plugged in because the battery is dead and I've removed the battery, and also recently I believe it was stepped on or something heavy was placed on it, so the entire right half of the screen is in black and white with cracks, where a small portion of the left side can show base color but not much else and is all vertically lines. I can see the placement of the mouse vertically on that side, but not horizontally. So the screen's boned.

I've been using HDMI to hook it up to my television, a Samsung SyncMaster B2330HD something or other, but I recently broke my HDMI Cable and have yet to purchase a new one as I'm broke (hence my using this piece of junk laptop instead of replacing the screen or buying a new one). I have a spare VGA cable though, so I switched to that instead, which also was working for some time. However as of yesterday the laptop gave me a blue screen, which I know is not from overheating as when it overheats it just shuts itself down properly. I was unable to catch the blue screen error, and after that, it stopped reading the vga cable. I looked into the problem a bit on my own and at first, and I managed to get it to work again after taking out and putting back in the vga cable. However today it blue screened again, and now it won't read the TV again. Tried the same method that made it work before, and it's done nothing.

I have tried the fn + f4 keys, which do nothing, and I have tried the windows + p keys which also do nothing. I get stuck on the login screen, and I can't seem to login. My laptop is passworded and running Windows 7. The laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6 running AMD graphics although I have no more specifics than that since I can't get into the laptop and the sticker is worn so badly I can't read a single letter on it.

Today I tried all the key combinations, logging in multiple times, multiple restarts, attempting to get into safe mode (which I was unable to do as I have to hit enter at start up to bypass the "Your internal fan is broken" dialogue and I honestly just can't get the timing right to get it into safe mode or figure out when to hit what), removing and plugging the VGA cable in at both ends, turning the tv on and off, shutting the laptop lid on startup multiple times, changing the TV source multiple times, and just about everything else I could think of. I then gave up and I will try some of this again later, but. Is this thing hopeless?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

Yeah it's hopeless. I mean, look, you could probably fix it with time and effort, but when you were done you'd have an overheating piece of junk that will die sooner than later.

The hard drive should be fine, so if you need to get any data from it I'm sure you can pull it out and plug it into a dock or another computer and access your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users