Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display, No Beeps on start up..

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

My computer went out the other day. I was on it then all of a sudden monitor went to sleep. I can turn computer back on, but monitor goes right to sleep. no greeting screen or anything. I've had this problem before and resetting BIOS by taking out battery for a few minutes seemed to work (this was months ago and have had to do it twice actually in the past year), but not this time.

So I'm thinking it's the video card which is on board. Would buying an el cheapo card work or is the computer done with since it's on board video.. is there a way to make sure it's not the hard drive or anything else? Without unhooking anything major There is no POST beeps when I turn it on Also, say if I turn it on let the computer load it and boot windows etc.. Even with monitor off and external speakers plugged into tower, would it still make that noise windows makes before it either goes to desktop or user selection?

Also, tried resetting CMOS by hooking up the jumpers to 2 and 3, and then back to 1 and 2. I then un hooked everything drives, RAM, etc (except power to mobo) both power and data cables, and still nothing. not even the BIOS menu. I did however get beeps this time a pattern of 1 short, 1 long. Im guessing it was for the RAM not being in (and yes before I took them out I made it sure it was tightly in and even tried to reseat it).. So, if I get beeps finally does that rule out a mobo problem and I should look into a real GPU or possiblty finding a way to test the PSU to see if its putting out enought power?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

You could try a video card that plugs into a pci-e lane if you would like. Try the methods below first to rule out other hardware. Because you did get ram post error codes with ram not installed. I am thinking the board may still be ok.

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

You may have a memory controller issue in which case if you have 4 slots, 2 may not work. With intel it should be 2 slots next to eachother channel 1 might be slot 0,1 and channel 2 might be 2,3. Trying with 1 stick at a time in all 4 slots is the best way to test everything.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

If you get no response next: remove all of the components from the computer case and connect only non essential hardware outside of the case, place the motherboard on a non conductive surface, a wooden table will do fine. Then try to power on again, you can short the power button pins on the motherboard, don't worry this is exactly what the power button does. Just touch a metal item to both power button pins to try to power the mainboard when outside of the computer case.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

The mobo looks great and I've tried using 1 stick of RAM in all 4 slots with each of the sticks I have.. Still when I turn it on, nothing, no display or POST beeps. I only get POST beeps when there is no RAM. Would a new GPU get noticed right away? cause if not I'd have no way to switch it, right?

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02155335-33%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1410191627564.876444892.199480143

I looked at this and Im not sure if this matches my mobo

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

on there it lists 1 long, 1 short as a system board problem? does system board means mobo? and If so. does the sequence matter? Im not getting 1 long 1 short. I get 1 short 1 long.. and thats only with no RAM.. so I dont know if my 1 short 1 long. is for 2 different codes

1 short.. evrything is OK or a possible video error

1 long RAM error

but if this is the case wouldnt I still get 1 beep even with RAM?

Edited by MasseyMan65560, 08 September 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would think you would get the same beep both ways if it was the board that is the issue, what is the exact board number or part number so we can determine the correct post fault code related to bios type?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Where do I find board number? the motherboard is

H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01925486-19%257CdocLocale%253Den_US%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

I should be able to figure it out from those details. I'll let you know more after a bit of looking.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

It appears the board you posted above is an ami board, I did not see any 1 long 1 short codes for an ami board, was the motherboard repalced at any point in time? Here are the AMI codes: http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

You certainly could try a video card in the pci-e slot (it will automatically switch to the add in card when plugged into pci-e slot), it is also possible the power supply has a problem. If it were in my shop I would try both of those. First, let's try to figure out more about that bios post fault code. Can you verify that the motherboard in your case matches the one in the link above and are you 100% certain it is 1 long, 1 short?

#8 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

I am almost positive the motherboard has not been replaced. My brother bought it new at Office Depot in 2010, kinda old but still a decent computer.. Some more details that might help I forgot. I've had it about a year and have used the crap out of it. I've got a wife and kids and my son used it ALOT. Played lots of Steam games but games that'll it run so nothing that made the computer crash or get overloaded and shut down.. also, it was rarely off and stayed ON. 100% on not stand by or sleep but on..

I had thus problem before and resetting the BIOS worked I've had to do it twice in a year..
I posted a video sorry for the background noise, it is not coming from the computer.. The short beep and long beep are constant. Do error codes keep repeating or is it a one time thing when turned on

#9 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Well I guess the video didn't post. But yes it is 1 short, 1 long.. And it keeps doing it.. So error codes only go off once per start up

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

Error codes do repeat forever or until you power off/unplug the computer generally.

I am looking into this board a bit more. Some things you can do: visually inspect all of the usb ports for physical damage  or shorting/bent

pins etc. Sometimes these will cause issues.

Try resetting the bios again by unplugging the power from the computer, press the power button to drain the residual power in the capacitors, then remove the cmos button cell battery, while you have it out, test the voltage with a multi-meter you should get at least 3v if not higher. If it is under 3v replace the battery. Put the button battery back in, plug the computer back in and power on.

If you happen to have a spare power supply test with that,

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#11 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

I don't have a multi meter but the battery seems kinda cheap. Would the computer work without one? I'd atleast get BIOS screen without it, right? Cause all the battery does is keep the settings saved, right? I'm just guessing though..I'd rather drop $5 on a battery before buying a new video card which I can get for $40 or a PSU which is only 250watt.. I can get a used 400 anyday for $20.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

Ok a little bit more, every thread I have read about hp's with 1 short and 1 long has indicated a ram related issue which would make sense (the ram is removed when you get the beep), this leads me to believe that the motherboard is still working to some extent. The first thing I would try is a different power supply, it should be a standard atx power supply (psu). If the power supply does not change anything, you could try with a pci-e video card.

If you have a pci-e video card laying around to test with, you could put that in with the current psu just to quickly rule out the video chipset being the only issue.

I can not recall a many incidents where internal video failed and a pci-e card still worked but there were a few so even if internal failed you may still be able to use the computer.

If you have no different results with a pci-e video card or new power supply, my guess would be there is a motherboard/chipset problem. I have rarely seen cpu's fail, ~95% of the time (in my experience) when you get down to 2 components: cpu/motherboard, it is the motherboard that is the problem.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

I don't have a multi meter but the battery seems kinda cheap. Would the computer work without one? I'd atleast get BIOS screen without it, right? Cause all the battery does is keep the settings saved, right? I'm just guessing though..I'd rather drop $5 on a battery before buying a new video card which I can get for $40 or a PSU which is only 250watt.. I can get a used 400 anyday for $20.

In theory yes it should work without a bios battery, the only thing that should happen is that every time the computer loses power from the wall (unplugged or power outage) the bios would reset to factory default settings.

I have heard people mention strange things happening with dead or near dead cmos batteries but I have never experienced them myself, I suppose it doesn't hurt to replace a dead battery either way. The most comon complaint while having a dead cmos battery is that after the computer loses power and the cmos resets, the user cannot connect to secure websites, this is due to the time and date being off.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#14 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thanks for your help and all your research. If it was a RAM related problem. I'd still get a BIOS screen with no RAM in, right? Right now the monitor does not even come on when computer is powered up, when I turn it on manually from sleep (orange to blue light) within a few seconds to goes back to sleep.. I'm currently using the monitor on a different computer and same cord. So I can pretty much rule out the monitor and vga cable as the problem.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:26 PM

With no ram installed you will not get any video at all. The components required for succesful post are: motherboard, cpu, ram (1 stick), and a power supply. Then with a monitor connected and nothing else, powering on would complete a succesful post in which you would see the bios splash screen (in your case likely this says HP) then the bios would look for boot devices.

Edited by zingo156, 12 September 2014 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users