Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot from Windows 7 disk.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have a Windows 7 Hm Prem disk that I purchased 2 years ago that I can't get to boot a machine that has no O.S.  I can get a Parted Magic and other Linux distros to boot. i have tried changing Bios settings with no luck. The thing about it is, I have used this disk at least 3 times the same way on the same machine. Any info and time is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Your disc may be damaged or the eye of your DVD player may be dirty. (clean with dry Q tip if need be)

All is well in Paradise.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

I thought the same about the disk being bad but I used it to boot another machine. The machine will boot with other disks so it is not a bad drive.

Edited by bwrighttwo, 07 September 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#4 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

get  a copy of win7 here

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821

burn the iso as an image then you can use it to boot up. these are genuine copies. all you need is your key for your version of win7

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Burn the downloaded ISO image onto a good quality disc. For burning the image file I recommend ImageBurn freeware. http://www.imgburn.com/

Try installing using your new copy. Let us know how it goes!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

Good idea burning the ISO image. Windows 7 has it's own built in DVD burner. Good luck

#7 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

I have tried new disk with the same results. Sorry I guess I should have mentioned that. What happens when I try to boot is I hear the drive for about 3 seconds then nothing. No light no sound.  I get a cursor at top left then it starts blinking. Then a HDD password window comes up and i do not have one set so i just hit enter and then I get the blinking cursor at top left and nothing else.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Right now I do not suspect there is an issue with the Windows 7 book disc

OK so this is not on your machine but "a machine" and it has no OS

--- Does this mean the hard drive has been wiped clean?

--- Why would a password be requested for the HDD?

I haven't had to use Parted Magic, but if the computer boots up with it, isn't there an opportunity to continue from there?

--- If not, why not? Is there an error message?

This might not make sense but create a windows 7 system repair disc on the other computer and see if it will at least try to boot your computer?

I'm trying to understand the HDD issue but knowing whether or not it's been wiped clean and/or how it's been set up; we need more info

#9 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Right now I do not suspect there is an issue with the Windows 7 book disc

OK so this is not on your machine but "a machine" and it has no OS

--- Does this mean the hard drive has been wiped clean?

--- Why would a password be requested for the HDD?

I haven't had to use Parted Magic, but if the computer boots up with it, isn't there an opportunity to continue from there?

This might not make sense but create a windows 7 system repair disc on the other computer and see if it will at least try to boot your computer?

I'm trying to understand the HDD issue but knowing whether or not it's been wiped clean and/or how it's been set up; we need more info

It is one of my machines. If you takea look at my past content here on BC, you may get a better picture.

---- Does this mean the hard drive has been wiped clean?

I have used every method I know.  there seems to be some hidden dev/sda partition that "MHDD" says has an ATA disk that requires a password to access.  DBAN gets an error about not being able to access the device when I use it.

That is how I used MHDD. I have also used "test disk" I do not remember the results but they were directed at the same conclusion. When I try to mount the device or whatever it is,....using P Magic it shows only the Live disk to be mountable.

Edited by bwrighttwo, 07 September 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Is the BIOS on the computer UEFI? If it is, the Windows 7 install disk will not boot. I would create an iso image from the install disk using Imgburn at a speed no faster than 4X if possible then use Rufus to create a bootable USB from the iso. When running Rufus opt out of finding any updates.

#11 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

I have booted "Windows" from it before. Is it possible it has been changed?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

I am not sure how. If it is UEFI, you would need to enable legacy boot or it could be called CSM.

Edit: Did you ever enable the HDD password in BIOS? Is this a laptop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#13 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

It is a laptop. I have never enabled it. I have tried to figure a way to disable it but can't get it to hightlight  a option. Do not remember what all the options were. A PW has never been configured so just hitting enter when it appears gets me past it.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I would try Rufus and see if you can boot from a USB flash drive. There is a command in Parted Magic that can use the ATA erase command but it is dangerous.

See the hdparm command here. Warning. It's possible the drive could be rendered unusable.

But you can open a terminal in Parted Magic and use the following which is safe.

hdparm -I /dev/sdx 

where x is the letter of your drive. You can find it by using the fdisk -l command. Then type the following

hdparm -N /dev/sdx

This will show the maximum sector count along with what the drive is using and if HPA is being used.

#15 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

I did this on one of my machines. I am not sure which one. I seem to remember it not having any HPA being used. I will try again and post results. Thanks for your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users