Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Chunky wine

Chunky wine

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

I need to reinstalling windows cause when I installed it I didnt make a separate partition for the os. I know this is a stupid mistake. I wanted to know if I can reinstall windows using the same activation key, also wanted to know if I can use the same hdd or will i need to buy a new one? How much space is required for this partition for the os? Also is there an article or some sort advice for making a partition when you first install windows.
Thanks in advance, your help is very useful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

Really not sure what it is you want to do. If you want to modify the partitions you can do so using Disk Management in Administrative Tools. But if you think the OS NEEDS its own partition, it doesn't (though it's not a bad idea to separate the OS from data).

#3 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

So i can separate my os in disk manger, instead of doing if when you first installing windows, so is there an article on how to separate the os in disk manger?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

You keep saying you want to separate the OS. What I think you want to do is create a partition primarily for your OS and keep programs and data on one or more other partitions, is that correct? if so, yes - you can create new partitions in disk management after installation. You can also use a 3rd party utility such as the excellent (and free) Easeus Partition Manager.

Here's the info on Disk Management: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

And here's a link to Easeus: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/windows-8-partition-manager/windows-8-disk-management.htm

#5 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Im talking about an article of how to put all os files into the partition that i just made. Not how make a partition, cause i know how to make a partition. Thats why i said reinstalling windows nd just putting it on a partition from the beginning, maybe would be easier no??

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'm sorry, maybe I'm dense - but I really don't understand what you are talking about now. Let's start at the beginning.

The OS is on C: drive. I'm assuming from what you say the drive is not partitioned and the only drive designation is C:. If you want to create additional partitions (which you say you know how to do), go ahead. C: drive will then be one of the partitions on your drive and it will contain the OS (as it already does). The system partition (the partition containing the OS) will ALWAYS have the designation of C: drive. The additional partition(s) you create can contain anything else that you like.

I think this is a terminology issue. A partition is only a logical (as opposed to physical) separation on the hard drive. 

#7 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Well honestly all I just want to do is separate it from my other stuff maybe just put it on a ssd later when i get it.... Im am new to all this partition stuff. Yes all i have is c: drive and a system restore that contains only 350 mbs dont even think thats good, shouldnt it be like 100gb or 50?

Edited by Chunky wine, 07 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

It would be wise to have 100 gigs for Win 8, for performance sake, however you could make it as small as 30 gigs, as long as you don't download a bunch of Metro apps.

If you presently have just a C drive and would prefer to have two partitions, one for the OS & programs, and the other for your data, you may be able to shrink the C drive in Disk Management, enough to satisfy your needs.

For example. let's say that you have a 500 gig drive and Disk Management allows you to shrink it to 150 gigs, then you'd have over 300 gigs left over for the new data partition.

If the amount offered isn't enough for your needs, then you'd have to save all your data, then do a fresh install.

When you get to the point where you're being asked which partition you want to install to, delete the C partition, then hit "NEW" and choose the smaller amount that you want for the OS, ie: 150 gigs.

The remainder can be formatted and used for your data, while the OS and programs will be on the 150 gig C drive.

You following me?

All is well in Paradise.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Leave 100Gb on your system partition (C:) and then go ahead and use either disk management or Easeus Partition Master to create a new partition. And what do you mean you have "a system restore that contains 350 mb"?

#10 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Im have 1tb drive... So wants confusing me is whats difference between data nd programs ... I know is a stupid question lol nd ur saying i need 100 gbs in my restore?

#11 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:22 PM

My system restore, isnt that recovery? all i have is 350 mbs

#12 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Oh sorry it says system reserved

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

That 350 megs is a standard partition for the Win 8 MBR.

You are correct, that a recovery partition would be a lot bigger, probably around 20 gigs.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 Chunky wine

Chunky wine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

So add 20gb to the system reserved? How to i go about doing that?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Ignore the system reserved area. It is not to be touched by you.

A program is an application that you run to perform a task (Microsoft Word is a program, any game you run is a program, your web browser is a program). And when I say data I mean files that you create that you want to use or keep. When you create a document in Word, that is a data file. When you save a position in a game to which you want to return later, that is a data file, when you create an Excel Document or Spreadsheet, that is a data file.

Edited by Allan, 07 September 2014 - 03:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users