Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

blocked external drive (stick)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I am using an external drive (disk on key) for weeks and suddenly I am not able to modify or remove any file on it.

I can only open the files for "read" only. It seems like a "protected" drive.

What is causing this blockage? I don't want to reformate it which will delete all the files on it.

Thanks

Edited by sam-my, 07 September 2014 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

If this is a Sandisk flash drive, Sandisk will mount the drive as read only if it detects an error. This is built into the flash drive's firmware and cannot be changed.

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

Thanks

the drive is Kingston DataTraveller 100 G3 (64 GB)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

If the drive is under warranty return it. From Kingston Support site. If attaching another flash drive results in the same write protection then it would be a setting in the OS. If not then the drive is defective.

Is there any security or write protection feature available for this DataTraveler?

Unfortunately this unit does not have any security or write protection feature. If you receive a write protection message with this drive, check for the following:

1. Verify that you are allowed to write to removable storage devices. There may be a security setting in the OS that disables write access to removable storage devices.
  2. Make sure you have not enabled write protection on the drive by using a third party software.
  3. If none of the above apply, the drive may be defective. Contact Kingston Technical Support for further assistance.

If the flash drive is out of warranty you can try the following.

Firstly,Remove all data off of the drive.

See this guide. Set the flash drive for performance and see if you can format the drive.

If the above does not work see this.

In the download link make sure you are using something like Noscript on firefox or you will get a lot of ads poping up. Warning. This may render the drive useless if it goes wrong.

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Thanks John for your assistance. 

1. I removed the relevant data off the drive to a file on the Desktop.

2. under Computer, when clicking on the drive I got all the tabs except Security an Quota (tabs are missing)

3. under Computer , when clicking on Format I can see that the file system is 'exFat (Default)'

Do you suggest to click the "Restore Device Defaults" command in the Format window? or to reformat the drive 

using NTFS in lieu of exFAT?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

If none of your files are over 4GB then I would format it Fat32. NTFS is a journaling system which would constantly be writing to the flash drive. If the drive is write protected the format may fail.

What OS are you using?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#7 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

I am using Win7 32 bit

When you mentioned the file sizes (i.e. >4GB) It come to my mind that the drive had a larger file (i.e. over 4GB) - a game that my kid wanted to store.

Do you think that this could be the issue since the drive was formatted as exFat?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yes, Fat32 will not allow a file larger than 4GB. I would then format it exFAT.

#9 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

I cannot format the drive. I got a warning: "the disc is write protected"

?????

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

If the drive is under warranty I would return it. If out of warranty I would see the link I posted. The link says kingstone but it is kingston. Make sure the firmware you use is available and the same size as the flash drive you have, 64GB

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/2013/04/repair-any-kingstone-flash-drive-in-one.html

Check this. It is a format tool. I have not used it though. ( you should try this first) If you use Windows 7 ,You must open Any Drive formatter as   administrator . Right click the exe file > Run as Administrator

Also this. It is supposed to work for the G3 but only for a certain chipset. You will have to find it using the tools shown in the guide.

The link in the G3 guide for the tools is dead. Here it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users