Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor Issues (two posts i've made elsewhere with no solution, please help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nokah

Nokah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm not gonna go on and on about my problem because i have spent days playing with settings and trying everything in the world to fix my issue. So just a question, you're last chance, kind of think it wont help, hail marry, last chance at a fix before i do a factory restore and lose a TB of data. Is there a way to reset all display settings on windows 7 in the registry like you could on vista and xp. I have two monitors, both ports work and the second one wont turn on. I've tried EVERYTHING and i mean EVERYTHING. I went into the registry and this computer has had like 7 or 8 monitors on it in its life time. Going from 1 to 2 and it wont activate the second one, it'll allow it to be the primary, and i get signal from both ports, and in the display and nvidia graphics centre both monitors exist and are identifiable but only one will show up at a time. If you know how to fix this, or have had this problem please help, and i'll write you a poem if you fix this for me.

(this is a post I submitted to a different tech thread): Maybe I can't explain myself well enough.

Hey guys, first thread/post what have you. Only doing this because I'm completely out of ideas and have pulled out all of my hair.

http://prntscr.com/4kgar3 Those are my basic specs.

I know enough to have fun with PC's but i'm sure you all leave me in the dust. I have always ran two monitors on my desktop up until about a year ago, one of them broke and i never bothered to buy a new one. Just used the one i had, which used to be my secondary monitor.

Now when I plug in a secondary monitor, I can't get a signal on it. They both plug into DVI-D ports. And I'm sure both ports work, cause i've played around with the settings to make the display show up on both (individually) The second monitor is a brand new RCA with DVI to HDMI cable that has never been on this computer.

I've seen posts about deleting display setting for vista because i've had about 6 different monitors on this PC in its lifetime, but nothing for windows 7 that seems to work. Do i have to factory restore. I've gone through the right click screen resolution option and the Nvidia control centre option, i've updated my nvidia driver and my AMD driver. 

This used to work just fine with 2 monitors. I thought this might be the issue. My original secondary monitor became my primary monitor. And now won't switch over properly. ( i've changed the monitor to make this my main monitor in both windows and nvidia control centre )

Is there a way to delete previous and all monitor setting or records in the registry for windows 7 or whatever i have to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nokah

Nokah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

Sorry if this problem doesn't make sense, but this is another screenshot that might help http://prntscr.com/4kl3b0 Those both exist but won't work together.

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

If you have the same GPU that I just looked up, have you just tried plugging one monitor into the HDMI port and one into a DVI port? I just want to get it straight, if you plug only the new monitor in by itself with the HDMI>DVI cable, does it work?

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 Nokah

Nokah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:11 PM

both are DVI and i've got them both hooked up with DVI to HDMI. and both work individually and both ports are sending a signal.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

I am a bit confused about this: i've updated my nvidia driver and my AMD driver,

What is the current video card you are using? AMD or Nvidia?

This step should work for both nvidia or amd: uninstalling the graphics driver and re-installing should remove any setting related to displays. Uninstall and then reboot, then install the newest driver for your video card from the manufacturer's website.

I generally use the right click desktop and screen resolution to change what monitors are on/off, for 2 I use the extend these displays option.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users