Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning a failed HDD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Striper

Striper

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Hope you will indulge me with another noob question - you've all been very helpful in the past...

HP Pavilion dv7-6b32us laptop (approx 5 years old) running Win7 Home Premium

Just got a 0xc00000e9 error, which - from what I've read - means the hard drive is failing / failed.

No big deal...I've replaced a few hard drives.  However...it sure would be nice to recover some of the files on the failed drive, not to mention the OS.

One of the HDD dealers on ebay also offers a 'cloning kit'.  I've just today started to 'get myself smart' about cloning hard drives (and I promise to keep researching), but, is it even possible with one that has already failed?  My un-knowledgable guess is...it depends on why it failed.  But I'm not even sure what questions to ask.  Help!!

Another question (this is related, but may have to be moved to the Win7 Forum):  Can someone provide a dummies guide to reinstalling the Win7...I suppose using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool?  I've downloaded the .iso file (I think), and the tool - but don't know where to go from here (I do have the reg key from the sticker on the bottom of the machine).  Again, I've just started to search and research, but I don't think I'm savvy enough to understand what I'm reading.  More Help!

Thanx to all!!

Edited by Striper, 07 September 2014 - 11:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

After thinking about this overnite, I realize I probably should have included a bit more info (was in a hurry yesterday). Not sure how much of this is relevant:

1. Machine was NOT dropped or bumped.

2. There are no strange noises coming from the drive.

3. Are no external devices plugged in, and no disks in drive.  We're pretty anal about using the 'Safe to Remove Hardware" button.

4. (may be important) Replaced battery earlier this year with a cheapo knockoff battery - that apparently now is about shot.  In addition to the hard drive error, it also showed the HP Battery Warning screen.

5. Fan seems to run alot, and machine does get noticeably warm.  My obvious concern is that the HDD overheated, and I realize the new drive may be in jeopardy as well.  Just not sure what to do about it.

Also, was considering installing the NEW drive in the secondary HDD space (or putting it in the primary space, and installing the OLD drive in the secondary space).  Anyway - is there a way to do a 'internal cloning' (for lack of a better phrase)?

Thanx again!

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

A few things: as far as heat is concerned, dust out the computer by blowing air through the intake and exhaust (where the fan takes air in and blows out), likely it is packed with dust which happens eventually. I recommend dusting out computers at least once a year if not twice or more. You can use canned air or an air compressor with rubber nozzle, if you use an air compressor use no more than 40psi and use short bursts of air, over speeding the fan can cause it to shatter.

For cloning hard drives, you certainly can try cloning the drive, I would actually recommend first trying to backup data that is the most important. If the drive is failing you may have only a certain amount of time before it fails completely. I would boot to something like linux mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and then copy all data you can to an external. Then you can use something like clonezilla to clone the drive to a new one: http://clonezilla.org/ Cloning would be faster if you had the new drive and old drive connected to the sata ports not a usb port so adding the second new drive to an available hdd port (if you have 2) would be the fastest way to clone.

Some things to know about cloning: you will have all of the same software issues you had before and possibly more. Cloning a drive with bad blocks is not recommended as some of the information may be corrupt or unreadable which means your new drive with a cloned broken O.S. may cause problems. It would be my recommendation to buy a new drive, load the operating system from either restore discs which you can get from HP, or a genuine windows disc and then use your activation key on the bottom of the laptop to activate: you can use any genuine windows disc as long as it matches your machines activation key type: example your computer may have windows 7 home edition, or basic edition or starter edition etc, you need to use the exact copy that the computer came with to activate it.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 07:49 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

Thanx Zingo!  That's basically exactly what I was looking for.

As we've had computer 'issues' in the past, and have spent significant $$ on data recovery, I gave specific instructions to all family members: DO NOT STORE ANYTHING YOU CAN'T LOSE ON THE HARD DRIVE!  Fortunately, I believe they've heeded my advice, and I don't think there's anything important there.  My biggest concern was the Win7 (which I may need a little more help with).

The OEM drive is 640GB, but when I search for 'dv-7 6b32us' - all I come up with is a 1TB...which is prob wayyy more than I need.  Am I correct thinking that any 2.5" SATA laptop drive will work?  I think I'd rather get a smaller drive, then increase the memory.

Your thoughts? (and many THANX!)

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

You can get a 1TB drive, just be warned that the thickness of some 1TB drives was an issue in the past even though they matched the 2.5" specifications for length and width, sometimes they were too thick to fit in some laptops. You should be able to find 500GB, 750GB drives for relatively cheap. If you intend to clone the drive you must have a drive that matches the size of the current hard drive or larger.

As mentioned before, cloning really isn't what I would recommend unless you are moving from a smaller drive to a larger drive and the old drive is in perfect shape. I have done it successfully a few times with failing hard drives but typically it took hours to fix windows issues. A clean install is generally easier and a guaranteed method for like new operation, of course drivers will be needed if you use a genuine OEM windows disc, if you have the HP recovery discs made, those should include all drivers, so you will need to get updates only and then it will be like the day it came out of the box.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 09:33 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanx!  I'm scrapping the cloning idea - you're right...too many potential headaches.

Found (and ordered) the OEM 640GB hard drive for $27 (yipeeee!!) and will order the HP Recovery kit ($31) this afternoon.

Wish me luck!

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

$27 seems very cheap. I would never recommend used hard drives.

#8 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

Not sure if I can/should post the vendor name here, but if you Google the HP part #603785-001 - it's one of the first that come up on the right "Shop Google box"...starts with an 'A'.  I did a little bit of research on them, and it says the part could be "new, surplus, overstocked, bad-box, or reconditioned"...which does concern me a bit.  They do have a 90 warranty, and I did read (mostly) favorable reviews on them.  Suppose it's worth a shot.

Edited by Striper, 08 September 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#9 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

Well, bit in the butt again.  The company is Ambry Int'l (ambry.com) - as soon as I got a email confirmation of the order...I immediately got a 'order is cancelled - item not in stock' email (although it showed IN STOCK).  I'll be adding my 'zero-star' review to the list.

Oh well, back to my shopping.   Grrrrrr..........

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

I would shop at one of the well known online retailers for new drives, amazon, tigerdirect, newegg, are the 3 that I use the most. I generally do price comparison for the same part between all 3.

Just do a search for 2.5 750GB sata hard drive on any of those websites and you should come up with many results. You could also look for a 640GB, 500GB, 320GB etc. Smaller drives are not always cheaper, sometimes I see 500GB drives for less than the 320GB drives.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

The brands I recommend the most are: western digital, seagate. The rest I have either not had great luck with or haven't tried.

#12 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

Gonna try this one:  http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-22-236-561

Once again, excuse my noobieness - but I shouldn't have any probs with the 7200rpm, should I?  I read somewhere that it should be a little 'zippier' than the OEM 5400.  My only concern is my heat issue.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

A 7200rpm drive should work it will be faster though maybe not noticeably. The heat from hard drives is generally not a huge concern. If your old drive was failing, sometimes this can cause more heat than normal. Bad blocks if data is written to them, windows will try to read the data potentially infinitely many times which means the drive will be running non stop. A new drive should have no issues. Dusting out the computer is likely going to get rid of any heat related issue.

One thing I noticed about that new drive you posted was the thickness in bold red:

• Maximum performance for power computing
  • Dual processor,Dynamic Cache
  • Rock-solid Mechanical Architecture
  • Height: 9.5mm
  • 5-year limited warranty

You are going to want to check the old drive by part number to verify the thickness of the drive, I would replace with one that matches in thickness.

If you post the old drive part number (on the drive itself) I can help you find a drive that should work with the laptop.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#14 Striper

Striper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Excellent point zingo...I doubled checked this (see page 5):  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03043778.pdf

...looks like all except the 1TB are 9.5mm, so should be OK (I think).

(edit)  Oooops, the OEM part # 603785-001 (I got this from the manual - haven't actually taken the old one out yet)

Edited by Striper, 08 September 2014 - 12:40 PM.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

Should be ok. Some of the newer ones are actually thinner which would be fine as well. I wasn't sure if the standard was 9mm or 9.5mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users