Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot DOS/XP question. Might be complicated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Redlight

Redlight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have an old XP machine with a SATA drive. I do not want to do a fresh install of XP when I do this, if possible.  I would like to do a dual boot DOS/XP. There are a few things in DOS that I still do. A USB stick is my present way of booting to dos.

Is there a way to partition the drive in windows without re-doing windows to place a DOS partition and a boot manager in a SATA drive? What would I use to partition live and DOS with sata suuport? I dont know a boot manager other than grub.

Would some of you gurus please let me know how this can be done?

Thanks

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi,

Can you tell us what you need to do with DOS? Can't you use a Virtual Machine?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Redlight

Redlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

I need true DOS. I used the com port for comminicating with different devices. The sodtware that I use will run in a VM but will not communicate with hte com port and has to be a true raw dos boot. I have tried a VM and dos box, still unsecessful.

Thanks for your reply

Mike

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for providing the extra information.

Using Grub4Dos it should be possible to load the files you have now on the USB, if you need to store data the best option will be to create a small Fat32 partition on the Hard Disk.

Take a look at this http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/makegrub4dosiso#TOC-Make-a-large-DOS-bootable-CD-without-needing-CD-drivers-

It's simple to add an entry to the Windows XP boot menu to load Grub4dos or use grub4dos to control the boot, guide here.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users