Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not check for updates - error code 800f0900

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 explodingmachine

explodingmachine

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hello,

My PC crashed a week ago, and since then, I have not been able to check for Windows updates. I am receiving an error message saying: "Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer."

I ran antivirus/spyware scans with BitDefender, SuperAntiSpyware, and Malwarebytes, but no threats were discovered. I also ran the System Update Readiness Tool and the Tweaking.com Windows repair tool, but nothing has solved the problem. What is my next step in resolving this issue?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

You can try to install them manually, if you know which updates haven't installed. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973135#7

If that doesn't work, you can run the Windows Updates troubleshooter tool. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-windows-updates

If those don't work, you can run the FixIt tool for Windows Updates, or try to fix Windows Updates manually. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

#3 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi sflatechguy,

I don't know which updates haven't installed, so unfortunately manual installation will not work for me.

I ran the Windows Update troubleshooter tool, and an error was found that could not be fixed. Here is the problem that was found: "Windows Update error 0x80070003".

I also ran the FixIt tool, but that did not resolve the problem either.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Try this FixIt tool for that specific error message. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

If the FixIt tool doesn't resolve it, try going through the manual steps listed at the bottom of that page.

#5 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

I ran the FixIt tool and went through all the manual steps, but I am still unable to check for updates.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

Run the System File Checker. Click on Start, and in the search bar, type in cmd. Right click on the command prompt window icon and select Run as administrator. Type in sfc /scannow, and post back the results.

#7 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

I ran the system file checker. No integrity violations were found.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Please follow the steps shown HERE     

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

We're going to backtrack a bit just to make sure we're being thorough.

You said you did all the manual steps here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336. Did you download and run the System Readiness Tool? Note, this is different from the FixIt tools you ran earlier. If you didn't, download and run it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

If you already did that step, or you did it and it didn't fix the issue -- you also said earlier you didn't know which updates you needed to install. If you open Windows Updates in the Control Panel, there should be a yellow section that states "X number of updates are available". If you click on that, do you see the pending updates listed there? If you do see the list, try manually downloading one or two, again following the steps outlined here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973135#7 If there aren't too many missing updates, you may want to try downloading them manually.

If none of the above works -- of the three AV products you listed in your first post, how many are still installed and running on your system? Ideally, you shouldn't have more than one installed. Some AV programs have been known to interfere with the updates process. Once you've made sure you only have one installed, try disabling it, and then try to install the updates.

#10 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

I ran the System Update Readiness Tool yesterday morning, and it did not solve the problem. I ran it again today and attached the log.

The yellow section in Windows Updates is not appearing. There is only a red section that is saying Windows cannot search for updates.

BitDefender is the only antivirus program currently installed and running on my system. I tried disabling it and searching for updates, but still no luck.

Also, I did some additional research/testing yesterday, and I'm almost positive I have a bad RAM module. I've been experiencing the occasional BSoD over the past few weeks, and several errors were found when I ran Memtest86+ yesterday. Is it possible that a bad RAM module is causing the Windows Update issue?

EDIT: Disregard what I said about the RAM. The RAM is fine. I had the RAM sticks in the incorrect slots.

Attached Files

Edited by explodingmachine, 08 September 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:30 PM

It's possible that may have had something to do with the problems with your updates. Do you have the most recent minidump file from the latest blue screen? If you have Blue Screen View or Debugging Tools for Windows, post that here.

The SUR log indicates the versions of those files that exist on your computer are corrupt, and that's why they won't install. Based on the error message you are getting in Windows Updates, I recommend opening up a command prompt and typing in net stop bits and net stop wuauserv. Then, in Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:/Windows folder, and find the folder named SoftwareDistribution. Rename the folder, go back to the command prompt, type in net start bits and net start wuauserv. Go to the Services console by typing services.msc in the search bar, and make sure the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and the Windows Update services are running. Then try to download updates again. Post back once you've done that.

#12 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:59 PM

I downloaded Blue Screen View, but no minidump files were found. I also navigated to C:\Windows\Minidump, but the folder is empty.

I tried the fix you described, but I am still getting the same error message when trying to check for updates.

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Shame there's no minidump file. Was your computer configured to create one when it blue screened?

I'm going to suggest one more approach, and if this doesn't work, your last remaining option is a repair installation of the operating system.

Now that I've had some time to review the logs and do some more research on them, it appears that the Windows Update Agent on your system has failed because the most recent updates for the agent itself did not install. So go back to the C:\Windows directory, and rename the SoftwareDistribution file back to it's old, original name. Download and install the files for the 7.6.7600.320 version of the Windows Update Agent for your particular version of Windows 7. Scroll down to the standalone packages for Windows 7 SP1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2887535

#14 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Hello,

This error message that is being shown on the .cat and .mum files (0x800B0100) is one of the most common Windows Update errors, good news is that it is pretty easy to fix, it is just a matter of replacing the corrupt files with a good non corrupt version.

SURT Package replacement

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

• Download the attached file called Packs.zip and save this to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on the file and select Extract All...
  • Tick the box labelled Show extracted files when complete then click Extract
  • A window will open showing two folders, Manifests and Packages
  • Open the Manifests folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Winsxs\Manifests
  • Open the Packages folder and copy the files into the following folder (if there are any files)

C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur\Servicing\Packages
  • Run the System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) again.
  • When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Attached Files

#15 explodingmachine

explodingmachine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

Go The Power,

I downloaded your fix and followed the steps you provided, and now Windows Update is working! Thanks so much! I never thought I'd be so excited about downloading updates.

I've attached the SURT logs. Let me know how they look.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users