Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template-ish: Moving to gaming pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hortator

Hortator

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hello, as you can tell by the thread title, I'm in the market for a new PC I can use to play present-day video games on, since my laptop (Samsung S3520, 1.5 ghz processor, bog-standard Intel family graphics card) is just not suitable for the task. I'll be using the stickied forum guide thread as a close guide to ensure all the relevant content but I won't be sticking to it slavishly so I can include some context.

I have been mulling things over for a while and done some looking around, and it seems that the price tag I'm looking at is around £500, give or take about £100. I don't have a particularly strict budget but that's the range I'm looking at - I'm not going for something ridiculously high end that might cost around £1000.

As I said, my main consideration here is that I want to move up to a PC I can play games on. My current laptop seems to handle practically anything else I usually want to do (internet browsing, MS Office, etc.), and the whole point seems to be that a gaming PC necessarily has higher specs, so that's fairly straightforward.

Leaving other software like my browser (Firefox) and other standard applications aside, the games I'm looking at are mainly modern-day RPGs and strategy games like Civilisation, Skyrim, Crusader Kings 2, and possibly The Witcher series - in fact, the main catalyst for me getting moving about a new PC is that I want to play Civilisation: Beyond Earth when it comes out, and ideally Civ V before then. I'm also interested in using mods for Skyrim in particular and in roguelikes such as FTL: Faster Than Light. I'm not really interested in streaming or recording games at the moment.

In terms of multiple programmes running simultaneously, as of now my habit does seem to be to have multiple things going on at the same time and to switch between them rather than to complete one thing at a time, though it doesn't ever seem to get worse than having my browser and, say, half a dozen MS Word or Adobe Reader documents open at once.

I wouldn't say that I store a large amount of music or images on my current laptop. At the moment I'd say I have about 5 gb of music and podcasts, and a much smaller amount in images, probably in double-figure megabytes.

From looking around at game specs and the kind of things I've seen in shops, I've got what I think is a reasonable idea of the spec range I'm looking at. Processor speed should be greater than 2.5 ghz, but 3.1 - 3.4 seems to be the going rate. That generally seems to come with a hard drive of about 1 tb and RAM of about 6-8 gb (although, surprisingly, the 4gb of RAM I have now seems to be alright). The graphics card is the area where I have the least idea of what I'm doing, something along the lines of an AMD Radeon HD 7770 or some other string of apparently meaningless numbers.

With that in mind, the kind of thing I'm looking for would probably look something like one of these:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/asus-essentio-m11aa-uk010s-desktop-pc-21656717-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/asus-m11ad-uk002s-desktop-pc-22071108-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/hp-pavilion-500-242ea-desktop-pc-21907330-pdt.html

I would be very grateful for any advice, especially after making people suffer through such a lengthy post. I hope I've got down all the necessary details, and I'm also open to suggestions that I should buy specific components separately and/or construct the PC myself (I know this technically isn't the right forum for that kind of thing, but I'm fishing for fairly basic general advice here).

Again, many thanks for any helpful replies.

Edited by Hortator, 07 September 2014 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Out of the three you have listed I'd vote for the ASUS M11AD-UK002S Desktop PC the main reasons are the 8GB of RAM and it has the best video card out of the three.

I recommend 8GB of RAM and a good non-integrated video card for gaming.  Since you're buying a manufactured machine getting the right video card up front is a big deal as upgrading later may not be an option if it requires more power.  I'm not familiar with the Asus desktops and do not know how upgradable they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users