Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 not booting using recovery USB, gives BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shivad

shivad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

I am using a Toshiba Sattelite laptop and my windows is not booting. I even tried booting it using the windows recovery USB that I created a few months ago.

The problem started this morning when my laptop just froze. In order to troubleshoot it, I tried to refresh my Laptop. During the refreshing process (when it reached 9%), I got a BSOD (blue screen) which interrupted the refresh process. My laptop refuses to boot up since in any form (even using the windows recovery USB). Does not even reach the "advance option" window. All it does is display the Toshiba boot screen and then go black.

P.S - I am a very basic windows user, so rookie level instructions/ troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by shivad, 07 September 2014 - 09:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

For booting from the USB flash drive, access BIOS and make sure SecureBoot and Fastboot are disabled. Tap the F2 key at boot to get to BIOS settings. After disabling SecureBoot and Fastboot boot the computer with the USB flash drive attached and tap the F12 key at boot. This will bring up a boot menu. Select the USB flash drive.

#3 shivad

shivad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for your reply John. I0'm not sure I can see any options in the BIOS settings called "Secureboot" or "Fastboot." All I see is that under Boot, the boot speed has been set to NORMAL. Could you be a little more specific please? Like I said, rookie instructions would be very much appreciated!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

I am not familiar with the BIOS on your computer. It may be under Security settings. But, every Windows 8 computer has a SecureBoot setting in BIOS that I know of. What is the model number of the Toshiba? FastBoot would be under something called Boot Speed if it is there.

See this. Remember to set the BIOS back.

#5 shivad

shivad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hi John,

thanks again. I was able to change the BIOS settings (boot speed - normal and secureboot - Disabled), but am unfortunately still facing the same issue; a black screen after booting up with USB!

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Hi

Is the Toshiba still under warranty? There is a possibility of defective hardware.

If the Computer is under warranty, call Toshiba Tech support.

If not run a memory test or run it anyway.

This was created by one of our Advisors, keyboardNinja.

Warning! Please read this first.
When You install ImgBurn, Be sure to use the Custom option and do not install any of the junk that comes with it. It is a good program that I use regularly, however You must be sure not to install the Adware that comes with it so choose custom install and read each page carefully.

***** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

p4393897.gif

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

p4393911.gif

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

main_menu.jpg

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

testarea_cu.jpg

The following image is the test results area: there will be red lines shown on the screen when errors detected.

Like this :

memtest-error.png

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

If You see any errors that is most likely the source of Your problem.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users