Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot install windows 8.1 over Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pboogler

pboogler

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

I've been trying for two days straight, first backing up all my data and then trying,

to install Windows 8.1 on my pc, through a bootable usb. but whenever I try to boot. it shows,

''Press any key to start setup.''

and after I do that this screen shows up,

File : /boot/BCD

Info: The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors.

I've tried everything I could find on the internet, Easy pro essentials.iso file, recovery console.iso file, even downloaded an xp iso file and tried to overwrite the previous one but somehow it installed itself on another drive and now I have two XP's instead of one.. :axe:

My windows also has a recovery tool option and 10GB space is reserved for it, it can revert my pc to its factory settings, Maybe I could use that??? 

Please I need your help. I'm exhausted.

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2014 - 08:10 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

It sounds like you have a PC with multiple drives, so for starters, disconnect all hard drives except the one you're installing on.

As for that error, it's saying that your bootable USB ISO is messed up.

I imagine you'd have to re-download it and create a new bootable USB drive.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

It has only one hard drive, not multiple.. Are you sure, that it's a problem with the iso file.. I have an internet connection with limited data per month.. If I download the iso file again, It would cost me more..?

It sounds like you have a PC with multiple drives, so for starters, disconnect all hard drives except the one you're installing on.

As for that error, it's saying that your bootable USB ISO is messed up.

I imagine you'd have to re-download it and create a new bootable USB drive.

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

Maybe you could go to someplace with free Wi-Fi (like a public library) and download what you need?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:32 AM

First, are you certain your pc is capable of running Windows 8? Have you run the Windows 8 upgrade advisor? If not, do so now.

If the system is W8 compatible, and since there is no upgrade path from XP to W8, you should format your drive before trying to install W8. Make certain you have obtained Windows 8 from a legitimate and reputable source, then try again to install it. Keep in mind you are going to lose all applications, data, and settings.

#6 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

OK thanks people.. I will try the following steps...

1. Download windows 7 iso file.

2. try and install it.

3. then try to install windows 8 over it.

Edited by pboogler, 08 September 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,477 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

Why would you do that? There is no direct upgrade path from XP to W7 either.

As I said above, you need to make sure your system is capable of running W7 or W8. If it is, you need to format and then install the new OS as a clean install. And again, if you do that you will lose all data (so back everything up) and need to reinstall all programs.

Edited by Allan, 08 September 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#8 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

I tried it and it worked, I installed Win7 but when I ran the windows 8 setup it said that it cannot be installed because I dont have NX.. What is that??? and how much would it cost me to get this upgrade??

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

I don't think you can buy it. Either your processor comes with it, or not (NX stands for No Execute).

Please give us the brand and model of your processor by right clicking on "Computer: and the subsequent window will show you the CPU, ram, etc.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

VGC-V2 series

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz

3.19 GHz, 2 GB RAM

I know its an old computer, but I like it because it is beatiful and hassle-free. I thought it would work nicely with Windows 8.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

I don't know for a fact if it has NX technology or not, as it is a very old model, but more importantly, it's simply too weak.

Please allow me to explain.

I use a CPU benchmarking system that gives arbitrary scores for all processors.

For recent Windows 8 models using the new BayTrail processors, the minimum score needed for decent performance is 1,000.

For older tech machines, the minimum would be 1.500.

Your processor scores 384 (Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHz   384)

I strongly suggest sticking with XP.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad tidings.

PS: Perhaps I should explain why...

The software makers create systems that can operate on today's technologies,

As technology progresses and processors get that much stronger, then the software makers can make their systems more complex and comprehensive (often referred to as heavier), so after a certain amount of years, today's software doesn't work well on the older hardware.

I remember upgrading Google Earth and it going from taking 8 seconds to 16 seconds to fully open, so someone with a weak machine, might not be able to open it at all.

The hardware manufacturers chase the software makers, and vice versa. The more power that is available, the heavier the software becomes. The heavier the software becomes, the greater desire to manufacture more powerful processors and other technologies.

Some people say that technology turns over every 3 years, although I think that's a bit exaggerated.

I usually tell clients that if they get 5 years of satisfactory performance from their laptops, they've done OK.

These days, most Vista generation machines that started in 2006, can be fixed up or upgraded to still keep up.

Previous to that, the most recent  XP machines, could usually tolerate an upgrade to 7, but not to 8.

The processor you have was released in February of 2004, making it over 10 years old and simply too old and weak to manage to operate Win 8 properly. Even Win 7 would be a struggle for your machine.

I hope what I wrote helps you understand how it all works

Edited by rockysosua, 09 September 2014 - 07:52 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:19 AM

Thanks man.. I understand, I should start saving up and buy a new pc in the near future,

Its just that my current pc worked so well all these years that It never felt weak or outdated.

After microsoft ended its support for xp, i thought i should upgrade to windows 8.

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

There are many advantages to the new operating systems, naturally.

On the other hand, if your present PC is running well and it isn't frustrating you at any level, you could go on getting all the service out of it that you can, till one day when it passes onto PC heaven.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 pboogler

pboogler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:47 AM

hehehehhehe PC heaven lol... :lmao: :idea: :thumbup2:

Thanks anyways man, for your guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic