Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three beeps, twenty seconds apart

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 olorin12

olorin12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:03 AM

I have an HP P7-1297c desktop. I've upgraded it, putting in a 450w power supply and a Radeon HD 6670 video card. I have the UEFI shut off in BIOS, and I have Windows 7 64 and Arch Linux installed on the same drive. I boot using GRUB.

Everything has been working fine.

I bought a new video card - an EVGA NVidia GTX 750 ti. I removed the ATI drivers, installed the card, then booted up. When I boot, I get the standard POST screen, but it's frozen - pressing ESC does nothing. After about twenty seconds, there is a short beep, followed by twenty seconds, then a beep, then another twenty seconds, then a third beep. At this third beep, it then goes to my GRUB bootloader, where I can start Windows or Linux. I went into Windows, installed the NVidia drivers, then rebooted. Same thing happened. 

I opened my box back up, reseated the card, and reseated the RAM for good measure.

Same thing.

When in Windows, I can run games just fine. Once I'm in, everything works perfectly - it's just those three beeps, and I can't get into BIOS or get to the boot selection.

I called EVGA, and according to them, it's not a problem with their card. I'm inclined to agree. 

Any idea what is wrong with my poor computer?

Here are my system specs, the power supply replaced with a 450w and with an added EVGA NVidia GTX 750 ti Superclocked:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03367058-9%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&ac.admitted=1410066134464.876444892.492883150

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users