Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All peripherals suddenly stop working when playing Dota 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bongoman1000

bongoman1000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Hi everybody. I get the weirdest error occasionally when I play the game Dota 2. This happens rarely but often enough to concern me.

I get into a match and suddenly everything stops working. My mouse and keyboard don't respond at all, and the mic on my headphones stops functioning. (I'm usually in a Skype call.)

The weirdest thing is that I can still hear the people in my Skype call, and the lights on my mouse and keyboard are still on. This persists even when I unplug and replug all peripherals, and can only be fixed when I restart the machine.  :killcomp: I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

I'm running:

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset

Corsair K70 Keyboard

Steelseries Sensei Mouse

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

General Suggestions;

1. Ditch anything that's wireless. Mouse, keyboard and internet connection need to be on-the-wire.

2. Throw more RAM at it.

3. Snooze or disable your AV while gaming.

4. Close any other background programs that may be running.

5. Try to have your machine meet the recommended requirements of the game (NOT the minimum reqs).

Try it now.

#3 bongoman1000

bongoman1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

1. All of my peripherals are wired already, nothing wireless on my machine.
2. I was planning on doing this eventually so thanks for the suggestion.
3. I can try this but again, this happens rarely so I won't be able to get instant feedback on whether it worked.
4. I can try this as well.
5. I exceed the minimum requirements by far, so I know that isn't a problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Unplug any devices you aren't using such as usb drives.

Try to find out if there are specific applications running when this happens (is some exe suddenly taking all the cpu or something like that)

Try to replicate it with a different mouse maybe?

See if it ever happens when Skype is not running.

See if you can figure out how to force this issue to happen during a practice game - i dunno, by spawning a thousand heros or something, because then you could keep causing it while trying different possible solutions.

This is a long shot, but maybe it's a ram or hard drive issue, because sometimes in-game when someone uses their ult for the first time, or spawns a ward for the first time, the game may read from the hd or load stuff into ram.

#5 bongoman1000

bongoman1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the suggestions bludshot. I'll try them out when I am able to.

Also I forgot to mention that this has happened once before when I wasn't playing dota. I plugged in a usb cable into the slot on my keyboard and the same thing happened, all the peripherals stopped working but the lights stayed on. Maybe it's an issue with my keyboard?

Edited by bongoman1000, 13 September 2014 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users