Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to enable network adapter pre-log on?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jctan

jctan

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

How do you enable LAN or wifi prior to signing in? I disabled it from Network and Sharing Center.

I log in with a Microsoft account but I'm getting error: 

"Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this PC".

I've been trying out the local account password to no avail.

I also want to be able to boot from USB to try resetting the local account. This is what I'd get:

"Checking media presence

Media present
Start PXE over IPv6.."

Then after sometime it will boot to Windows sign in page. 

I already went to BIOS to enable any LAN I can find, and changed boot order to boot to USB first. 

I have Dell XPS Desktop 8700. Windows 8.

Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

In order to boot from USB, you would need to disable SecureBoot and FastBoot in BIOS. Also enable CSM or legacy mode.

Follow the steps here to enable the hidden Administrator Account in Windows. Then login to that account and enable your adapter. In the guide I linked to the program has been updated to a newer version,Latest release is 140201 (2014-02-01). You can download it here. Do not reset any password. Only enable the Administrator account. You will need to burn the iso file in order to make a bootable CD or you can use the iso file with Rufus to make it bootable. Select MBR for the partition scheme. If that does not work use GPT. Select ISO image in the dropdown box and click on the folder icon. Browse to the iso file you downloaded. Boot the computer and enable the Administrator account. Reboot and login to the now unhidden Administrator account. After enabling your network adapter in the Administrator account, you can create a new user if desired.

See this for changing from a Windows Live account to a local account.

#3 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

The Administrator account is the local account I was trying to log into. I had tried blank & guessed passwords to no avail. 

Could there be a way to enable LAN prior to signing in? So far I have not found articles concerning it..

I was able to boot from USB. Was trying Ophcrack after failed attempt at ONTP&RE.

Ophcrack also unsuccessful. Most likely I do not know use both tools properly.

I used default Rufus settings on my first try. Also tried GPT partition scheme per your directions. 

On both tries, I'm stuck at Step 3 #3 (http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/)

It says: 

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernel.

The iso file I used for Rufus is cd140201.

Edited by jctan, 07 September 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#4 gasjgas

gasjgas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

Hi,

How do you enable LAN or wifi prior to signing in? I disabled it from Network and Sharing Center.

I log in with a Microsoft account but I'm getting error: 

"Your PC is offline. Please sign in with the last password used on this PC".

I've been trying out the local account password to no avail.

I also want to be able to boot from USB to try resetting the local account. This is what I'd get:

"Checking media presence

Media present
Start PXE over IPv6.."

Then after sometime it will boot to Windows sign in page. 

I already went to BIOS to enable any LAN I can find, and changed boot order to boot to USB first. 

I have Dell XPS Desktop 8700. Windows 8.

Thanks. 

!!! Simply Windows 8 bleep !!!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

If I understand correctly, Rufus boots fine and at step #3 you get the error. When you compare the MD5 sums of the iso you downloaded to what is posted are they identical? If they are, try the previous release or download the USB version and follow the instructions in the readme file.

When you said the administrator account was the account you tried to login to, did you have the hidden administrator account already enabled. That account is considered equivalent to root in linux. Or, were you talking about logging into an account that was part of the administrator group.

I don't know of any way to enable wi-fi or lan before login. If there was a way, it would be through the registry but I would have to do some research on this. How did you disable both LAN and Wireless? If you have a laptop possibly turning off and on the Wireless button may work but I doubt it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2014 - 08:17 AM.

#6 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

Yes, Rufus boots fine but stuck at Step 3 #3. I don't know where to find the MD5 sum of the file I downloaded, but I think it is the latest CD version. Rufus screen says "CD build date: Sat Feb  1 17:35:02 CET 2014". I will try Rufus USB and older versions. 

Local account name is Administrator (not another account that is a part of administrator group). It wasn't hidden and I didn't have to enable it.

LAN was disabled through Network and Sharing Center. Wifi has always been disabled because we use LAN. 

I thought enabling LAN on BIOS should reset or override previous setting?

Edited by jctan, 07 September 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't think enabling LAN in BIOS would work as this was disabled in WIndows. Somewhere in the registry WIndows has disabled your LAN. I have found some things but it seems it was much easier to enable LAN in XP than in Win7 or Win8.

As far as the MD5 signature, you need a small utility to check the MD5 of the file you downloaded. If Rufus fails on the earlier version, then try the USB version of the offline registry editor. There is another USB boot utility called Unetbootin that you may have better luck with.

Can you access a command prompt in Windows? I am not sure you can get to safe mode with command prompt in Windows 8. You can enable the administrator account using this command.

net user administrator /active:yes

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Is your goal to reinstall Windows from the USB recovery drive?

Is that what you have, a USB recovery drive?

When I run into a stubborn Win 8 machine that I can't get into to get the recovery options, I disconnect the hard drive, and tap F2 at a rate of 4 or 5 taps per second, from the very moment I hit the power button.

If you can get into the bios, then you'll be able to do as suggested and turn off the Secure Boot and Fastboot if you have that option, as well as enable Legacy, if you have that option.

To have the USB drive appear in the boot options, you'll have to plug it in before entering the bios.

Assuming you have a USB recovery drive, you'll be able to boot from it and access the normal Win 8 recovery features.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:06 AM

Tried previous version of CD (cd110511) but it's only showing the USB drive. Now going to try USB version. Hope I get the "ISO to USB" instructions right.

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   250.74KB   0 downloads

I can access command prompt via Dell's Advanced Startup Options, but it's asking me which user I want to log into (local account = don't know pwd, microsoft account = wrong pwd error even if I have the correct one). 

Edited by jctan, 07 September 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#10 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

rockysosua, i don't have usb recovery drive and i wouldn't want to refresh/reset/reinstall if possible. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

The usb version is not an iso. Just a number of files. Make sure you use the correct letter for your USB flash drive when doing the command.

#12 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Tried Unetbootin on the latest version but same results:

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.

Booting the kernel.

Copied contents of USB version into my USB and followed the instructions: Opened command prompt, ran as administrator, ran the syslinux.exe, nothing happened (as expected per the instuctions).

So I exited command prompt and used the USB on the problem PC but same errors as previously encountered:

- usb140201 - same results as above blue font

usb110511 - no drive showing up (same as the screenshot on my previous response except USB isn't showing up)

Edited by jctan, 07 September 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

I am running out of ideas on why this is not working on Windows 8. I will continue looking for a registry setting but it's not looking too good. Hopefully somebody else can come up with some ideas on how to do this. At the bottom of the website page for the offline registry editor is an email address. I would send an email and explain the problem.

#14 jctan

jctan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the help JohnC_21. Will email them.

The wintips.org link has a user commenting on PCUnlocker so I downloaded the trial version and tried to reset local account password, but no username shows up. "Select the Windows SAM registry file" is empty so I typed the path as shown in their instructions (http://www.top-password.com/guide/reset-windows-password.html) but still no usernames showing up. The browse button results in error "Unable to read sam database! [X:\WXPE\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM]". I'm unable to use browse to go to c:\

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Maybe it's something in Windows 8 that is preventing it.

Can you make a System Repair Disk on another WIn8 computer and then use that to get to a command prompt? By using this method you may be able to use the command I posted earlier to enable the Administrator Account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users