Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC suddenly goes to sleep mode, please help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperAccount

SuperAccount

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

About an hour ago, I was just browsing the web and all the sudden my PC/Desktop went to sleep mode (the power button light was blinking).

I tried to wake it up - keys, mouse, power button - but that didn't wake it.

So I then try to shut it down by holding down the power button, nothing happened either

Finally, I had to pull the PC's power plug from the socket to turn it off, replug it, and then boot it.

So what's the problem? why did my PC suddenly go to sleep mode like that is it a power/voltage isue?

I'm using Win 7 64 bit

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2014 - 09:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperAccount

SuperAccount
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

bump

#3 HackedBotato

HackedBotato

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:40 PM

If it only happened once, it shouldn't be a big issue, maybe the cable just went wrong for a bit. If it still works like normal, it shouldn't be a big issue.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

There's a lot of different possibilities.

I would start with swapping out the CMOS battery. A dead or dying battery causes all sorts of crazy issues.

Check your BIOS (which will revert to default settings if you change the CMOS battery) for Power Management settings. Check what is selected under Power On, After Power Off, Wake, etc settings.

Since it's a desktop, check the Windows Power settings from the Control Panel. I would recommend the "Always On" power scheme and turn off Sleep and Hibernate.

Finally, it's also possible that you just had a power surge. The PC will do a forced shutdown to prevent damage to the components in that situation.

And I almost forgot that it could have been a memory bug/memory leak. They tend to happen rarely and randomly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users