Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Options for a Server OS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Currently I have Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter through the MSDNAA at my university. I'll be graduating soon and will not have that as an option. So I'm starting to explore what my options for Server OS's could be. Currently if I wanted to get my own copy of Windows server Datacenter it would cost $5k+ which the Mrs. would kill me if I spent that. I've looked at maybe a linux server but wasn't sure if that would be able to do everything I currently like doing.

What I use it for:

I use Storage spaces to handle setting up 7x 1TB HDDs into a RAID configuration.

I use Hyper-V to host several vm's each with different responsibilities.

One of the VM's is a domain controller that I have all the machines in the house connect to and have users for all the family members. This makes it easy when we get a new computer to not have to spend hours setting up all the accounts and settings for different family members.

Another one runs MDT and WDS so that if a computer gets sick or part of the OS gets corrupted I can easily re-deploy the OS to it and have all the software, updates installed on it, and have it automatically connect to the domain.

I have a few other servers that do tasks that any os can do like hosting a minecraft server for the kids.

The machines specs are:

CPU: 2x 2.13 GHz quadcore processors

72 GB of RAM

8x 1TB HDDs (the host OS has it's own drive separate from storage spaces RAID storage).

Are there any good setup options for this that won't break the bank? I might be able to convince the Mrs. to let me pump at most 1k into the operating systems.

I use the OS for personal use to make working with computers around the house easier (And for a fun hobby) so if there are any options that are for personal/non-profit use That would work.

Thanks for any advice provided. :)

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Technically the software would continue to work, you just wouldn't be within the licensing agreement.

Technet would have been an option, but Microsoft discontinued it.

Going with a *nix solution would be a learning experience.  You may be able to get most of what you are doing done, but you'll have more hoops to jump through, showing you why companies stay with Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users