Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezing upon startup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 coaler

coaler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

I have 8.1, a hp pavillion desktop/laptop. On occasion it freezes upon startup. I get as far as signing in , get the blue round and round circle and never goes any farther than that. I have to resort to shutting the computer off manually as nothing works, can't bring up normal shutoff or  move forward. Do you have any ideas on this? The computer is fairly new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

What is a Desktop/Laptop?

Can you give us the model #?

Do you ever manage to get in after hard killing it, or are you completely locked out?

All is well in Paradise.

#3 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

I have a hp laptop all in one( pavilion 20). tower free desktop. After I hard kill it and wait for awhile I can restart it and it will work. I thought maybe I had too many programs starting up but I just have the minimum. thanks for answering.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

When it is running, is it as fast as it used to be or is it remarkably slower?

Has it been problematic for a long time?

Are there any other symptoms you've noticed?

All is well in Paradise.

#5 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

It is just as fast as it was when it was new. It just started doing this in the past couple of weeks and not all the time I start it up. 

I haven't downloaded any new programs. Malware scans show nothing. Ran virus...nothing...

Has me puzzled. 

I did notice the microsoft one drive cloud icon on the taskbar that wasn't there before. I read up on it and it said you can't uninstall it as it comes with w 8.1. Is there a way to disable it? 

Thats the only thing that I can think of thats different. I don't need it for what I do. 

Edited by coaler, 07 September 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

One Drive should have nothing to do with your problem.

You may have some type of hardware failure, or maybe it's the operating system that has gone whacky.

The fact that it's intermittent, makes it that much more confusing.

There are some things you could do to try to fix it, before considering going to your recovery features to reinstall the whole system, but they won't help if it's a hardware problem.

The first one will take 15 to 30 minutes.

Open a command window with Admin rights and copy and paste the following command, then hit enter.

sfc /scannow

After the SFC scannow job, the next thing is to schedule a diskcheck by pasting in the following,

chkdsk /r C:

then hit enter, then accept the scheduled diskcheck with "Y" for yes, then hit enter again.

The checkdisk will start at the next bootup.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yes one drive can cause the problem you are having. To disable it. You will need to go into your microsoft account. Once in this account. Go to pc settings. Then click on one drive. From their you can disable it.  I have had a lot of complaints on computers because of one drive. See if that helps you. Also follow the suggestions Rockysosua . Has posted. 

#8 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

I did your suggestions. I  hit the unsync...hope thats it for the one drive. 

The other    message says..Resource Protection found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them. Details are incl. in C:/windows/logs/cbs/cbs.log

Just getting used to this w8.1...do I search that file?  and how would I know which ones are corrupt. 

Wondering if I should leave well enough alone.   thanks

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

Have you done both the SFC scannow and diskcheck taks

All is well in Paradise.

#10 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

I have followed your directions. You have all been helpful. Problem solved.

thank you.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

That's great news. Congrats.

Do you know what in particular fixed it?

All is well in Paradise.

#12 coaler

coaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think it was that One drive that was dragging its feet. Since I disabled it all is well. Hogging the start up, probably.

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

I think it was that One drive that was dragging its feet. Since I disabled it all is well. Hogging the start up, probably.

I'm stunned.

You mentioned the icon just appearing by itself, so you clearly hadn't signed up for it, had you?

I've looked through the six Win 8.1 and 8 machines that I have on hand, and one drive doesn't even run on any of them.

I imagine that if I signed into the app, then it would run in the background and possibly hog a bit of bandwidth.

Is it possible that somebody else activated One Drive and signed into it on your computer?

It doesn't really matter that much as getting your machine going is the only matter at hand, but i like to learn new things and as I've been working on and selling Win 8 & 8.1 machines for 2 years without a single case of a One Drive issue, I wonder why that is?

Maybe One Drive just changed something in their app in the last week or two and trouble is around the corner?

All is well in Paradise.

#14 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'm stunned.

You mentioned the icon just appearing by itself, so you clearly hadn't signed up for it, had you?

I've looked through the six Win 8.1 and 8 machines that I have on hand, and one drive doesn't even run on any of them.

I imagine that if I signed into the app, then it would run in the background and possibly hog a bit of bandwidth.

Is it possible that somebody else activated One Drive and signed into it on your computer?

It doesn't really matter that much as getting your machine going is the only matter at hand, but i like to learn new things and as I've been working on and selling Win 8 & 8.1 machines for 2 years without a single case of a One Drive issue, I wonder why that is?

Maybe One Drive just changed something in their app in the last week or two and trouble is around the corner?

Not sure but you maybe right about the app. Being updated. I have had at least 10 people in the last two weeks complaining about One drive. Just disable one drive for them after checking the whole computer over. Seems to have stop their problem.

#15 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for that info.

It's one of the few explanations that makes sense.

One of the aspects to consider is my location. Often times, big system releases will become available in Mainland US before getting to the Tropics, so the One Drive problem might be just around the corner for me, and it will be my problem, not the customers. as It's my job to keep them in top shape, so I may soon have my work cut out for me.

If it does happen, I'll try to find this thread and add a report.

Knowing the way I think and operate, I'll probably work out a back door trick to stop it from running, and if I do, I'll post it here.

PS: Those who complained about One Drive, what did they complain about?

Slowing the machine down?

Gobbling up internet bandwidth?

Some anomalies?

Other?

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users