Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to remove bitdefender setup downloader

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

I tried to use bitdefender online free scan and thought I did not need to download anything. It turned out Bitdefender created a folder under common files. Now everytime when I turn on the computer, a bitdefender program would run (program location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender\Setupinformation\downloader.exe" /after_restart),

a pop-up shows up and asks the following

"Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer".

If I clicked yes, two things happen -

(a) Bitdefender seems to force me to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials (a new pop-up asks me to uninstall MSE)

(B) A second popup shows "Bitdefender needs to restart the computer"

I did not want to uninstall MSE but then the Bitdefender process cannot be complete.

How can I remove the Bitdefender folder under

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Bitdefender ?

Do I just drag and dump it in trash can?

Also, not sure if they are related to bitdefender online scan, several other things happened after I tried to use the online scan.

(a) MSE update stalled at ~ 30% for a long time (finally it succeeded in updating. Or so it showed).

(B)  I tried to run CCleaner, hoping to "remove" this "downloader" thing. CCleaner became super slow in both doing analysis and cleaning up. I noticed that it was slow when it ran into Firefox Internet Cache. I could see the CCleaner went through each and every "file" in Internet Cache VERY VERY slowly.

Any help on Bitdefender setup downloader. Or am I infected by FAKE bitdefender ? Great many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

Bit Defender says to uninstall their online scanner by clicking on tools in IE and choose to uninstall it.

Then restart IE.

Have you tried that?

If so, and it didn't work, try Revo Uninstaller Free.

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Edited by buddy215, 06 September 2014 - 06:55 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

From what you describe it appears a startup entry was added to MSConfig and you should be able to disable it from there.

BitDefender Online Scanner FAQs

4. How can I remove Online Scanner from my computer?
Select Tools, and click Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8. Restart Internet Explorer.

Bitdefender QuickScan FAQs

Q13: How do I uninstall QuickScan from my Browser?

A13: If you just dropped the npqscan.dll file in the plugins folder of your web browser, you need to simply remove the file and restart the browser.

For Firefox you should go to Tools -> Add-ons, select Bitdefender QuickScan and press the Uninstall button.
For Chrome, click the Options button (usually located in the upper-right of the browser), click extensions and click the "Uninstall" option for QuickScan.
For Internet Explorer you can either use the Browser's facility for managing extensions or delete all the files starting with qsax from C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

Thank  you very much for the response.

I checked all browsers but could not find bitdefender there (not in IE's tool, Firefox's add-on, nor chrome's extensions). Does this mean bitdefender online  program wasn't installed at all or incomplete?

If so, could I just drag the folder and dump it in trash? In the folder, it does have a file named "setupdownloader". When I click on the file, it is as if I am to install the downloader all over again. By default, it does say that it WILL HAVE TO remove any other anti-virus, which would then include MSE. But if I don't allow it to remove MSE, the "installation process" did not seem to be complete/happen at all.

Please advise. Thank you.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

Again from what you describe it appears some files and folders were created including a startup entry which is why you see Bitdefender when starting your machine. However, it may not have been a complete install. You can try right-clicking on and delete but first check Task Manager and end any related processes before doing so. Also check MSConfig and disable any Bitdefender start up entry if present.

#6 Therealshrapnelangel

Therealshrapnelangel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hi, I'd like to continue this thread, because I'm having this problem and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I've tried what you said Bleepin' Janitor, but it didn't seem to be in the startup entry. Also I'm running on windows 8.1. 

Thanks!

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

If the instructions provided by Bitdefender do not work, I recommend contacting the Bitdefender Support Center.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

Hi Therealshrapnelangel :)

If you want, you can create a seprate thread for your issue and I'm ready in giving a try in assisting you with your issue. Otherwise, you can always contact Bitdefender's Support directly like quietman recommended.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

Instead of the support link I provided above, use this email to report the problem: qscan@bitdefender.com

Bitdefender Support wants folks to report any issues so they can fix them for all users.

#10 Therealshrapnelangel

Therealshrapnelangel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:41 AM

Ok, thank you both! I will contact them and let them know what my problem is.

Cheers!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

Please post back and let us know what they have to say.

That information may be of benefit to other users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users