Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Running More Often, Cpu Loading Up More, Too

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hello all,

I've had my computer for two years now, so I'm pretty accustomed to it's habits, etc. In the last few weeks, the fan is running more often as the CPU loads up to 100% or nearly that in different applications. First noticed it when I'd run a scan with my SpySweeper program. After about 15 minutes or so into the scan, the fan would start running, the CPU was loading up, so I just started pausing the scan here and there. But, I shouldn't have to do that, I know. I've used SpySweeper for most of the two years, first it was provided by MSN, now I have my own software.

Just now, I was sending an email with two small pics in it. Sending email with pics can be kinda slow for a few reasons: dial up, AVG mail scanning, etc. This was the first time I ever had the CPU load up and fan start running while sending an email. The whole process couldn't have taken more than a few minutes, tops. I opened up Task Mgr. to see what process was causing the load and it was my Internet Accelerator!? that I get from my ISP.

Also, in this time period, same would happen NOT during me running programs per se, I'd see what the culprit was, only to find it was "helpsvc.exe". I Googled that, to find it has something to do with M$ auto updater, and shouldn't be seen as as running process, except maybe ONCE, ever. Well, I've caught this process running 2 or 3 times now. I disabled my Automatic updates a couple of days ago. Don't know if that's made any difference.

I run Win XP Home, have 512 ram, 55.5 GB free space on my hard drive, total space is 70.4. I have a Compaq Presario desktop. Any ideas what's going on here? This is all new activity here, not normal for my computer. The only time my CPU would load up and cause the fan to run in anytime past was with screen saver programs. Sure would appreciate some ideas on this one. I do have an extended warranty on it, so if anyone thinks it might be a service issue, Ill follow up with HP. Oh, I keep a real tight ship here, have a good arsenal of products; AVG A/V + Firewall, plus a variety of Anti-Malware programs. I run them often, and everything SEEMS to be okay in that department. Thanks in advance for your help.

Eagle7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

... A couple of things/questions come to mind when reading your post here...

-Is your computer dirty inside?.. (dirt is bad for coolness)
-How many processes are running?
-Is it hot in your residence?
JU$T1N~1

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

Hi Justin,

To answer your questions:

I cleaned the inside out really good about 6 mo.s ago. Smoke free
environment, keep things pretty clean. Computer's been in same
room, same place for 2 years.

47 processes, but that's been normal forever. Did do a complete
System Recovery abt a month ago, had a browser hijacker that
wouldn't go away. Did all the Malware Cleaning/Prevention stuff
that comes with the "Hijack This" program. (Nothing was ever
found, but the hijacking stopped after I did the full Recovery.

Room temp pretty good, we're in the mountains - temperate climate.

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Eagle7

#4 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:41 AM

47 processes in my opinion is too many to be running at one time...
I do realize that the average person has between 25 - 50 processes running at any given time...
However, Windows by itself, runs between 16 - 26 depending on what you are doing...
This means that you still have alot of processes running which you may not need to have running all of the time.
I would find out what all of your processes are, at an idle desktop state after booting,

Dont forget about MSCONFIG...

"Less is more"
JU$T1N~1

#5 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Justin,

I am actually on top of those processes. I recently checked them all out to make sure they were useful and needed. I even disabled several with msconfig; things like auto updaters, services/programs that came with HP that I don't use (there were several). Things had been running fine, status quo, until the last few weeks.

I'll have to check the number of processes at boot up later, since I was already up and running when I read your last reply. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Eagle7

#6 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

So, here's an idea. When I Google my problem, one of the many responses I get pertains to this MS "helpsvc.exe" malfunction. Here's an excerpt for your reading enjoyment:

Help and Support causes Windows XP to stop responding
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 839017
Last Review : June 1, 2006
Revision : 2.3
On This Page
SYMPTOMSSYMPTOMS
CAUSECAUSE
RESOLUTIONRESOLUTION
Service pack informationService pack information
Hotfix informationHotfix information
STATUSSTATUS
MORE INFORMATIONMORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
When you start Help and Support, your computer may become slow or may stop responding. After several minutes, the computer may respond normally.
Back to the top Back to the top
CAUSE
This problem may occur if the Helpsvc.exe process exhausts your computer resources. The Helpsvc.exe process may use up to 100% of the CPU resources on your computer for several minutes. To view CPU usage for Helpsvc.exe, start the Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.
RESOLUTION
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
Hotfix information
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=suppor

Does anyone think this might be my problem? Note my mention of this issue in my first post. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Regards,

Eagle7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users