Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help unable to install windows vista/7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ncg2014

ncg2014

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

I needed to reinstall Windows Vista on a Gateway gm5420 but the recovery disk would not work nor would it boot from any of four different Windows OS disks. I removed the hd and connected it to another pc to format. Formatting took over one hour. I reinstalled in the Gateway. I attempted to boot with a Vista Home Premium system disk. I would get to "hit any key to boot from cd..." I would hit any key and the screen would go black as if something was going to happen. Then nothing happened and I believe I could hear the dvd drive stop spinning and the dvd drive light stayed lit. the same thing happened with a Win7 Pro disk. Next I tried a Windows Vista Home Basic disk and it would say 'loading files' and the progress bar would go all the way to the end with the same result as the others, nothing. Despite multiple tries the same thing would happen each time. I replaced the dvd with a known working one with the same result. I put the original drive back in. Finally I tried a WinXP system disk and everything worked perfectly. Why am I unable to boot with the WinXP disk and install WinXP but nothing else. The machine came with Vista Home Basic and is stock. I have loading many many OSs before of all types and cross types and never run into this issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

I would try booting using a USB flash drive. Take the Win 7 OS Disk and write an iso file using Imgburn and a write speed no faster than 4X. Download Rufus and run it. Opt out of any updates. In the dropdown box select MBR as a partition scheme and iso image for the source. Click the folder and browse to the iso file. Change the BIOS to boot from USB and hopefully the flash drive will boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users