Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating custom maps

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

In my work, I frequently need to create maps showing 2-5 locations, usually within 15-20 miles of each other. For several years, I have been using Google Maps and a print utility (PrimoPDF) to create these maps. This is not super convenient, but it has been working until recently.

A few weeks ago (maybe longer), the Google Maps interface changed. It used to label the locations A, B, C, ..., and it would place the corresponding letter on the map. Now it does not number (letter?) the locations and it puts the actual address on the map. I don't care for this change, but I can live with it. The addresses clutter up the map and the letter labels were handy reference points. It also used to provide a "comments" box where I could add a title or other comments, which would then appear on the printed map. This is not longer available. Instead, it generates a comment box with the location addresses (which are already on the map). I cannot live with this change.

When I first started capturing these maps, I was using Internet Explorer (IE). Some time ago, I switched to Firefox (FF). Up until recently, they both worked the same. This morning, I tried it with IE and, to my amazement, the old map format was back. If I use Google Maps on IE, I get the A-B-C labels and the custom comment box. If I use it from FF (exact same URL -- https://maps.google.com/), I get the "new" interface. Just as a little test, I also tried it with Chrome. I get the same interface (almost) as with FF.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone explain why I am getting a different interface from Google Maps depending on which browser I use?
  2. Is there some setting I can change to get the old interface on any of the browsers? I poked around, but couldn't find any.
  3. Is there a better way to do this? What I need is a map showing up to 5 locations with the distances and driving times between them and a way for me to add a title and a comment box.

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users