Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Band Width

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:51 PM

Is there an easy way to speed up my internet speed with this windows 8 without affecting my Windows Defender as far as any automatic updates, I don't want to affect things like that. My computer skills are limited, just average. If this is best I make no changes I wont. I would rather have this 4 or 5 month old laptop slow rather than not working at all hahahahaha. Thank,s Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Unless you have a dedicated high speed fibre optic connection all of your own, your internet connection performance is not governed by the capabilities of you computer, as a computer. The slowest performing computer available can process data quicker than any normal domestic connection can deliver it.

Internet performance depends on how each link in a communication chain works. The chain is : computer to router; router to modem; modem to exchange; exchange to ISP's servers. The only one you have any control over is the first section. Wi-fi performance is affected by distance, materials between computer and router, and aerial position and quality - and these you have some control over. You have no control over the bandwidth your ISP is delivering unless it is significantly less than you were offered when you took out the connection contract - then you start nagging them or change provider (if that is an option).

Go to www.speedtest.net to run a check on the bandwidth you are being supplied with. For a one-off test there is no need to set up an account, but it is useful if you wish to log changes over time.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Chris, this makes sense to me . Thanks for explaining it. This computer isn't that slow I was wondering if it was possible to speed things up. I do think I understand what you mean, your say reguardless how old or how much power your pc has, its really how much power the WIFI is. Is that right? We used to have terrible lag, thay must have fixed it. Theres no more lag at all. I can watch computer tutorial,s all day without lag. I like to watch the IT Tech from Britec Uk, he is very smart, iam thinking his name is Bryan. I don't have malware or anything like that, I do all scans daily with Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. I got Windows 8. I just cant imagine all the fakes out there. The biggest fake seems to be Adobe Flash Player. If you have time watch                                   ( messin with fake AVG 2011 ) on You Tube. Thanks Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users