Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard disk no longer ntsf, now raw. help!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

i've managed to run testdisk on my corrupted drive. here's what i got.... but now i have no idea how to fix it from here. any help would be so awesome. thanks!!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I am not able to access that bmp. Can you upload a jpg? Is this an internal drive or external drive. Are you using the Windows version of Testdisk or using a boot disk?

#3 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

sure. here it is in .bmp. it's an internal drive, and i use windows version of testdisk.

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

Did you do a quick search? If not do so and post a screen shot.

#5 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

i did, but dont recall what the results were. i'm doing another one now. many thanks for all your patience and support!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Depending on what is found you may have to go to a deep search but we can see after the screenshot is posted. I have never ran into a situation like yours shown on the jpg you uploaded but hopefully we can get the files back even if not using Testdisk but some other software solution.

#7 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

i've found them all using m3 raw to ntsf converter. but they want 40$ for their software, which isn't too bad. but their gateway wont accept my credit cards (i've tried 3. a visa, mastercard, and amex. just to make sure.) they said it was probably a permanent error, and to pay another of their ways. but each of their other ways (bank transfer, wire, etc...) cost an additional 10us$. i said 'i dont want to spend 25% more, just because you have an error. so i'd rather not go with them. easeus also found most of them, but i didn't check item by item. i use this particular 3tb hard drive to house tv shows i record from p2p sites broadcast in the u.s. (i live in malaysia, and there's no other way to do it) so it's not vital stuff. but i'd rather not have to re-create it. so thanks. right now, the quick search is about 778xxxxx out of 81396294 or 6%

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:50 PM

Try following this guide for using testdisk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

You'll see where to fix the boot file towards the bottom of the web page

#9 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

here's the quick search results. and thanks for the webpage...

Attached Files

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

Select continue after highlighting the second NTFS partiton. Please post the next screen. I think this may be a GPT disk which doesn't have much documentation using Testdisk. I have never heard of the program you mentioned. Easeus Data Recovery is pretty good at retrieving data. PhotoRec which is a part of Testdisk can also be used to scan the disk but it is not as user friendly and all file names are generic with the correct extension. If you decide to use Photorec, make sure you select the extensions you want recovered under folder options or it will recover everything off the drive.

#11 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

you mean the second ntsf with the letter 'p' in the first column? the one with 17,xxx,xxx. cause when i look at it, i see the first with the asterisk and am not sure if that's a partition, but i *think* that's the boot sector or something, correct? i'm proceeding on the assumtion i'm correct., if not, tell me and i'll not give you the wrong stuff before then giving the correct. ok? i believe it's now doing a 'deeper search'?

Edited by russelldavidbanfield, 06 September 2014 - 07:54 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

In your image I do not see a P in the first column but that is a good sign as that means you have selected the primary partiton. But, the asterisk means it it both Primary and bootable.  I  picked the second NTFS because it shows the Head/Sector as 0 and 1.The other Head/Sector numbers just didn't make any sense but maybe that's because it's GPT. I just don't know. Let it do the Deep Search. This will take a long time. Doing a Deep Search should show all partitions it can list.

Edit: After the Deep Search select one of the partitions it finds and then try to list the files using the "P" key as shown in the guide Joe C linked to. Go through every partiton until using the "P" give will list your files. Then you can copy the files by selecting them with the ":" key and using the capital "C" key to copy them. After pressing "C" Testdisk will ask for a location to copy to. Copy a few files and see if they are corrupted or not.

Edit Edit: You did see the option to do a Deeper Search, correct?

Search_menu.gif

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#13 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

oh crap. i was looking at the screen with all the green writing on it. i should stop that, back out, then select as you told me, huh? no worries. the rest didn't make any sense, but i just read it quickly. i'll sit down, go through it slowly make sure i understand what you said. i'm now stopping the deep search it was doing. it's less than 1% done, so no biggie...

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,278 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

What green writing is that? If it is a partiton listing in green then there should be an option to use the "P" key, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#15 russelldavidbanfield

russelldavidbanfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

yes. p for 'list files'.... should i do that then? on.. one of he partitions i think has data? i'm willing to bet they all have data on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users