Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FireWalker6

FireWalker6

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Have a Asus M3A78 Pro Board . According to the Asus site says I can upgrade the CPu to a AMD Phenom II x4 AM2/3 . 

However current Bios version is 0202 and the Phenom need Version 1701 . Question is do you flash Bios before new CPU or after

. I have a GForce 730 GPU .Reason for the CPU upgrade . 

I Got the the complete computer from a friend for $30 bucks . 8 GB memerory on board , 500 Gb hard drive . New windows ultimate 7 . 

Malwarebites , Chrome , EI8 , Windows Antivirus , CClenaer pro and W.o.t tank game (Love this Game ) only thing on hard drive .

If you would add anything else (hardware or Software ) or any more suggestions and would appreciate greatly  Thanks again . 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

You would upgrade the BIOS before changing the CPU.

I've seen different ways in which unrecognised CPU's are handled.  Sometimes the board may default to fail safe settings (say 800 mhz) and flash up an "unrecognised CPU" warning when it turns on.  It won't work properly until the BIOS is upgraded.  Others will not POST at all, you'll just be greeted with a black screen...

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Check if you have to do anything special to make the Phenom II work. I noticed on a computer I had that the very fastest cpus on the support list required you do things like disable other motherboard features (that you wouldn't need anyway so it's ok) in order to support such a fast chip on there.

CCleaner is not recommended because it can mess you up.

Chrome is good if you like to be spied on and IE is the least secure browser. I suggest firefox. I find WoT so basic and terrible :|  jk... I mean, I do, but jk to be mentioning that.

Only other suggestion is to think twice before spending money to update an old machine, because that's money you could have put towards a new one. There is a line after which it's not worth it, so, consider that, and maybe in this case it is worth it, I don't know.

#4 FireWalker6

FireWalker6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Like I said it was $30 to start . GPU was a little more but  so far  only have $125 in it. Phenom II is another $50 which is on the list also for the Gforce GPU. Next project after learning on this one is to build new gaming computer . So using this one as learning tool . So If I turn it into a brick I'm only out the mother board $30 bucks .  I enjoy W.O.T  because that what I did in the Army for 10 years . Guys I run with are all from Military so its more of have fun with each other while we a spread out over the globe . The build tho is me learning . Thats why I came here on bleeping computers . When your sick you go to the doctor. Car breaks you go to a mechanic and a computer well thats why I'm here. Thats why I said if you guys have any suggestions and why.. Would be greatly appreciated 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users