Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore - Help To Understand What It Does And Does Not Do?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 camarosource

camarosource

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

I am confused on what exactly SYSTEM RESTORE DOES.

My friend has Windows Xp on a Laptop with 512 ram and is having problem and has gotten worse from the time we started to fix the original problem. If we were to SYSTEM STORE back to say 3 days previous, WHAT EXACTLY does that do??

We have updated and changed Windows Media Player.
We have installed SP2, then deleted, then returned back to SP1

If use SYSTEM RESTORE, will all the following be now lost??

- Windows Media Player upgrade and changes
- new programs that were installed (ie. adware scanners that were 3 days ago it was NOT installed)
- MSN files that were uploaded...

I would ask that she SYSTEM RESTORES back to the day the original problem occured but am worried she will LOSE all the programs and updates that happened since then as I'm not too sure what System Restore does and does not do.

Thanks!

ALSO. If we restore back say 3 days and for whatever reason we want to just go BACK to before the restore, can we do that with NO PROBLEMS? I don't want to interfere with her Wireless Internet connections or settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

camarosource

There is an excellent tutorial here at bleeping computer that pretty well covers what system restore will and will not do. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

Be (System Restore) Safe

Da Bleepin Animod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users