Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How insomnia and other sleeping disorders affect the mind

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

For anyone whom ever has struggled with sleep issues personally knows the devastating effects it can have on your physical and neural health.

Something sadly I know all to well and personally have battled with many times throughout my life. Like many other mental health issues it's typically triggered by and or paired with one or more mental health conditions, but unfortunately many people still don't or worse refuse to understand health issues such as the above mentioned. Which is very disturbing, how as a species do we still function? If where this disconnected from basic empathy which ironically a lack of empathy is sign of psychopathy. :(

Please share some of your experiences, advice, philosophy's, knowledge and thoughts regarding sleeping disorders.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:24 AM

Now I am old, I tend to sleep badly. The best way to deal with it, in my opinion, is not to worry about it. I make myself a cup of tea, read a book, or watch a  bit of TV. I have always wondered why a lot of people have this fear of not sleeping enough. My mother used to get quite panicky if she didn't sleep 8 hours a night, and eventually ended up addicted to benzodiazipines.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

"Affect", not "effect".

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

Correcting somebody's grammar is not at all helpful, I expect it makes you feel good.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

I guess you missed the irony.

#6 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Why would you use irony on somebody that is obviously in an anxious state. As I said, not helpful.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Gentlemen, I believe the OP has a serious point to make.

Let's keep it (1) polite, and (2) on topic - or it gets locked.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Thanks georgehenry for understanding you seem to have some personal experience with sleeping disorders yourself, this is part of the reason I felt compelled to start this thread so people can a productive conversation about the effects of prolonged sleep deprivation, methods to  cop & overcome which may include philosophy, meditation, positive reinforcement, inspirations, personal experiences and sleep aid suggestions which they can discuss with there doctor.

One affect of sleep deprivation it limits your conjunctive skills which helps regulate the language center of your brain. So anyone who has issues related to sleep deprivation are more than likely aware of these issues so it's counterproductive to point out such flaws it only reinforces any negativity they already have, unless it's constructive with a positive undertone there's no need for any of us to be snarky to each other.

As adolescent I was picked on by a peer for years (which was a contributing factor to my insomnia) and I had mixed emotions towards this person he relentlessly harassed me and even his close friends weren't safe from his harassment which is why I was unable to hold a grudge against him, I could tell he had issues which where equal if not greater than my own but there's an upside to his story he finally got proper help years latter. As humans we tend to over demonize each way to often especially when detached from face to face interactions. The core most physiological issues is negativity common knowledge I know but how quickly we tend to over look our own negative tendencies and when engorged eventually snowballs. Which is the reason why so many people wind up back in there vicious cycles repeatedly. It's easy to hate but learning to understand others requires patience.

What we should gain from this discussion is how to avoid developing the driving forces behind sleep issues not just insomnia but sleep apnea which there are different variations of as well as narcolepsy, cause to much sleep can be more devastating then a lack of. 

For example if your stressed because your car broke down which could lead to sleep deprivation further more a lack of sleep could cause you to miss an important appointment which in turn helps feeds the cycle.

So I just shared a bit my philosophy and back story with all of you, I hope this helps everyone understand that I'm trying to achieve  here is a broader understanding of human behavior by discussing something we all require in order to function properly sleep.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 10 September 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#9 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

You're right, end of story.

I suffer from anxiety and depression. It was caused by my childhood and the fact that my ex-wife had 'Munchausen's syndroime by proxy'. She smothered my baby daughter and called for an ambulance, always when I was out of the house (I am now crying and it's nine years on).

Anyway, one of the problems I have had for the last nine years is that I cannot sleep properly. Lots of people shrug this because they have occasionally suffered lack of sleep and it hasn't affected them. Of course it hasn't! I am currently going through a bad patch of sleep deprivation. I get these regularly. I have no idea how long they will last. This one has got to day 7.That's not good. It makes me numb. I'm a single parent and lack of sleep makes you grumpy. I struggle not to snap at my 9 year old daughter, or even my cat. I get things wrong because my memory is so puddled. That makes me feel worse. Sometimes, I am like a zombie. I collect my daughter from school, go to the shops and cannot for the life of me work out what I need for us to eat.

You talk about the conjunctive skills being affected. I had not thought about this. My daughter is nine and I have always liked to read to her each night. Sometimes, I can read the words in my mind but cannot speak them. This results in me going umm, umm, umm, if you know what I mean. I  have always been perplexed by this (as well as very upset). It does seem to happen more when I've had a bad spell of insomnia.

I waffle. Emphatically, no! Sleeping disorders should not be dismissed, however they arise.

I wish you well.

#10 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

SuperSapien64, the information/discussion really educate me about sleep disorders. Thank you

#11 WritingOnTheWall

WritingOnTheWall

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

Sleep disorder is indeed a serious issue. It affected my personal and professional life for about two years when I started working and became anxious and depressed. I eventually conquered it by exercising, getting sunlight, taking st. johns wort (not sure if it was placebo effect) and using herbal remedies such as essential kava dropped into kava tea. That treated my anxiety and depression, and also made me tired enough to fall asleep. It's a real struggle but we can do things to help ourselves. 

#12 000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:44 PM

this is your  interpretation of reality , legitimate  , you are not doctor or psychiatrist or neuropsychiatrist , it is normal that you're wrong to interpret.

I think there are some problems at the base , the society ', the place where we grow, the people with whom you grow up and live , we must not think too much about the destiny , the mind must be programmed and educated , I mean that if you set bad their lives from an early age can 'be a big problem in the future .
to return to the problem I think people do not know themselves well do not understand their symptoms ,  for this not they defeat their problems. the first thing I'd do is look for a solution instead of hearing the other person.
change inside change habits, change frequentations , change their idea of life.  If you have a symptom means that there is something that you have to change your way of life ..first of all, the way of life , but it takes courage, what have you got to lose? Life is a path to time, you can not be afraid, however, because life goes on and time passes and death comes.. you have nothing to lose.
do not think of others, all they are criticized, rich and beautiful and powerful they are also criticized .
are looking for a solution?
I've seen people change their lives completely, and heal from difficult diseases , alternative therapies such as acupuncture for example, but they come after you change inside , change feeding , starts to move or sports also little at a time , television in large quantities' creates problems , checking the place where live that there are too many  radiation devices that interfere with your sleep. 
There is a bracelet for pregnant women in italy ..special bracialet , is used for nausea predominantly , could lead to a better balance ..do not think that it is useless to have to try and find a solution, you have to think that is possible..

many things depends on how you think your life

http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/15/1/403    search in this site over this article , the bottom of the page you will find many other items

Edited by 000, 06 November 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#13 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:55 AM

Man, Do I not sleep... I thank the indigenous populace of the country of Iraq for that honor.   SNAP BIG WORDS....

I digress,

I use to get angry when I couldn’t sleep.... mine stems from Hypervigilance due to trauma of "being blown up" way to many times.  But, we as a people don’t help ourselves when it comes to this.  Meaning, having good sleep habits, exercise, and keeping a pattern. 

Good Sleeping Habits are:

• Wake up and go to Bed at the same time... every day, all the time. 
  • At least 1 hr. before bed time, NO TV, NO CELLPHONE, NO COMPUTER or anything that emits blue light.  It will trick your body into thinking it’s awake.
  • Take some time in your day, 10 or 15 min., to worry.  When is the last time any of you have had 10 min., without music, TV your phone to think and I don’t mean in the car.  Use this time to worry about stuff.  This is what usually keeps people awake, and if the first time each day you do this is when you lay down for bed.... THAT WILL keep you awake. 

Other things I have found that work are:

• Lavender Oil at night time, Pure Organic Oil.  One or two drops put it on your temples, wrists and any pressure point.  My wife got me to use this... and it’s better than ANY sleeping pill, pain killer etc.  Plus if you wake up later, use it again.  IT’S THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND.
  • Blue light device, I use this in the morning.  It works, well.  I always wondered why when I go hunting for a week my sleep gets dope.  Its due to the sun in the morning, which blue light devices simulate

Exercise

You have to do this, it can be a 20 min walk, or lifting, but moving around is key.  If your body is awake, but your mind is tired then you will be awake.  SO PUT DOWN THE PHONE OR FACEBOOK IN THE MORNING, and go for a walk, do some pushups, whatever.  It does wonders for sleep

Lastly, a pattern is a must.  We are creatures of habit, we do things the same way all the time, from how we each eat, wake up and yes sleep.  Things like keeping your house between 65 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit, (found to be the best for sleep).  Doing the same steps each night before sleep.  On and on.

Remember getting 4 to 5 hrs. A sleep a night after 5 nights is dangerous not only for your heart, weight etc., but while driving its worse than being drunk.  So aim for 7 hrs. (Thought to be the best length), any more or less is bad for you. 

Sorry it’s a long post... but I have been dealing with this since 2006 so I hope this helps someone.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

In response to czarboom's excellent suggestions I have one I have been using for about 3 years now. Related to the blue light keeping you awake syndrome. I work at a computer screen for hours at a time whether here at BC or at my 'day job'.

I don't remember exactly how or when I stumbled on the information about 'blue light' disturbing sleep patterns. To make a long story short something that has greatly helped me and my late nights at the computer and then trying to sleep is an app called f.lux

from the site: f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It took me about a week to get used to the 'warmth' at night. But I can't not use it now.

More information here: https://justgetflux.com/

p.s. @czarboom, Thank You for your service.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

I agree with Animal's comments about f.lux. I came across it a little while ago, I think it was a suggestion by Boopme in another topic either in General Chat or External Hardware on the subject of a member with visual problems.

I find it is much more restful on the eyes during the hours of relative darkness - it cuts down the bright glare from the screen - and it can be turned off if you are doing colour precise work such as photo editing for pperiods of up to one hour.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users