Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail hacked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mynameisveryrude

mynameisveryrude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi, my email has been getting hacked frequently and this time they changed the security email to theirs so i have no control over anything anymore. This email is also connected to two other personal emails of mine that I use for school and bills. Ive done everything to try to get my email back but since they changed my security info to theirs I can't do anything on either of them. I have tried to see if hotmail has a number to contact but no hope. Help please and thank you :exclame:  :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Couldn't quite tell when you said, "they changed the security email to theirs so i have no control over anything anymore" if that meant you are no longer even able to access the account and, of course, change the password.

If you are able to, I would suggest changing all your passwords immediately but if you are not able to, I would strongly suggest creating a new email account or using one of the other ones that you mentioned and then getting in touch with Microsoft and report what you believe is happening. You can do that here.

Hope you can get this resolved.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 mynameisveryrude

mynameisveryrude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

It's not even that I can't change my password it's the fact that they changed the security email to theirs so if I wanted to change the password I couldn't, I'm a girl by the way and this is scary

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

OK, well since you are not able to to change your passwords on any of these accounts, the first order of action is, as previously mentioned, is to create a new Outlook / Hotmail email account using strong credentials and, using the link I sent you, report this issue.

Second, you make mention that the compromised email accountants are used for school and bills, so, once you've created the new email account, contact your school and all the billings companies and change the email address connected to these accounts.

I realize that all of this is scary but if you take the above actions, it should minimize the amount of damage these people can do.

While they certainly aren't doing all this hacking in the name of good, I'm also pretty sure that they're not eager to pay your school bills and/or your utility bills, so changing the email accounts connected with these accounts (and having to prove your identity in concert with that) should not be too difficult.

Also, once you've created the email account, make sure you use any two-factor authentication that is offered to you and also use a very strong password that is not associated with any of your other online accounts.

Here's a great link that will show you how to do that.

Hope you find a positive resolve to all of this.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users