Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Crash Need Help

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 hizfather

hizfather

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

Hi, so my 3 TB external Seagate hard drive stopped working so i took it apart and reduced to an internal hard drive and plugged it into my computer to see if it was the adapter not working but after a few test i realized it had been corrupted and somehow turned into a RA filesystem so i followed this guide http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ to fix the hard drive and i got as far as saying yes to writing the partition table and after i pressed Y, it would go straight to "you will have to reboot for the change to take affect" and when i rebooted, the hard drive still wasnt read in windows. I would also like to mention that at first the hard drive was not even recognized in Mount Devices menu, but after trying to write the partition table it now recognizes it but when i try to mount it, it just refreshes the GUI and stays unmounted. 

I ran the short self test and it completed with read failure. i have attached the log file of the test.

also here are a few images what James Litten required of another person with a similar problem (included is the picture of the fdisk -l as well) http://imgur.com/a/mt6Di

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. If any more information is required please ask me. Thanks for looking and for the help.

Attached Files

Edited by hizfather, 06 September 2014 - 04:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hello, and Welcome

I usually recommend that a person copy over the files first before doing a partition table write. Using Testdisk can you still list the files using the "P" key as shown in the guide you linked to? Is the amount of data on the 3TB drive more than the capacity the recovery drive?

#3 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yes, I do see the files in test disk but writing the partition table does nothing and I cannot even mount the drive on the Mount Drives program. And yes i do have another drive to copy all the files to. Thanks for the quick reply.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Because you can list the files. Do the following. I would use the Windows version of Testdisk. Unzip testdisk to a folder on the drive you are recovering to and Run it. List the files with the "P" key. Notice that after listing the files you can select files and then copy to the testdisk folder on the recovery drive which is the default location. I am not sure because it has been awhile but I believe the : key will select the files/folders after highlighting them and using the capital "C" key will start the copy process. There is also a key that will select every file on the drive but I cannot remember it Edit: It is the small "a" key. I will have to confirm these keys. Once the files are copied then we can look at writing the partition table or reformatting the drive.

After you press "C", you will be given a default location to copy the files to. This is the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

Edit Edit: After copying over a few files, open them up with the appropriate program to see if they are corrupted or not.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 September 2014 - 03:46 PM.

#5 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Wow, ok this is working im copying the files to the new hard drive, thanks so much for the help this saved me a TON of money, I will let you know how everything goes once all the files are copied. Thanks again

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Okay, there may be a chance to write a new partition table that will stick but cannot promise anything.

#7 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I am willing to try but first let me copy all the files, there are a lot so it will take some time.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Okay, sounds like a plan. I always recommend to copy the files first if possible before trying to do a partition table write.

#9 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

Ok, i got all the files copied over what do you recommend is the next step. Also out of curiosity do you know about how much it would have costed to get something like this fixed at a professional?

Edited by hizfather, 06 September 2014 - 11:54 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

When you get to the Window with the Advanced option, select that and then Boot. Does Testdisk say you have a valid boot sector?

#11 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Both the boot sector and the backup boot sector are bad, also the sectors do not match. Here is a picture of it http://i.imgur.com/oAnZTn8.png

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

Making sure that all of your data is copied, select Rebuild BS. Then do the Testdisk scan again. When you get to the point after deep search, please post a picture. Do you remember how many partitions were shown when you copied over your data? It may also help if when you start, you select the option to create a log file.

I realize that this will take some time. This is up to you or if you prefer, we can delete the partition(s), create a GPT format and then partition and format the drive to the full 3TB.

Edit: Rebuilding the boot sector may make the drive visible and not RAW. After rebuilding the boot sector, quit Testdisk and reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#13 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Ok , so you want me to try and rebuild the boot sector right now from the screen i just posted an image of?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yes, then exit Testdisk and reboot the computer.

#15 hizfather

hizfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Ok now i get this screen, do i just reboot now? http://i.imgur.com/gd1XTKb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users