Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create a Windows 7 Bootable USB on my Surface RT

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bramsey88

Bramsey88

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hello all, I'm really hoping someone can help me out- I have completely screwed up my little toshiba netbook and am trying to install windows 7 with an iOS on a bootable usb- how can I create that with my surface? Seeing as it doesn't have any optical drive (that I'm aware of) and I cannot download any programs to burn the ISO to the usb... PLEASE HELP! My surface is the only access I have to any computer system...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Need make and model # of PC.

When you try to go online, what happens? How are you reaching BC currently? Are you WLAN or Ethernet on the PC in question?

#3 Bramsey88

Bramsey88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

I'm using my phone...

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:17 AM

Do you want to do a clean install of Win 7 on the netbook? (a clean install does NOT save personal data)

What OS was originally on the netbook?

Need make and model# of PC in question.

As far as your Surface RT is concerned, I know nothing about them. But your manuals should show you how to get online.

Edited by ElfBane, 06 September 2014 - 08:33 AM.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

How are you reaching BC currently?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "BC"?

All is well in Paradise.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

How are you reaching BC currently?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "BC"?

Bleeping Computer

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

Wouldn't have guessed it in a million years, yet it's perfectly appropriate, given the name of the website.

I guess my excuse is that I'm a newbie.

I'll know next time. Thanks for explaining.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

This is posted in the Windows 8 forum, was this because this originally had Windows 8 or 8.1 installed on it.

If this is an error, and you have Windows 7 installed on this computer, and the hdd hasn't been wiped, there should be a System Recovery partition which can be used to revert the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  This means that you will lose all of your data, any programs which were downloaded or installed from a disc.  If you wish to save any of your data I would suggest transferring it to a removable form of media, an external hdd, a flash drive, DVD or Cd.etc.

Edited by dc3, 06 September 2014 - 10:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Bramsey88

Bramsey88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

I think I'm confusing everyone- what I'm trying to do is perform a Windows 7 Home Premium clean install on my netbook with a bootable USB. I'm trying to create that USB with my Surface RT which has Windows 8 (RT) on it. The problem is that the RT cannot "burn" or "rip" files directly to the usb and it does not support any type of program or utility tool. Therefore, the rendered ISO is corrupt, it just keeps looping at the install screen.

Edited by Bramsey88, 06 September 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

...am trying to install windows 7 with an iOS on a bootable usb- how can I create that with my surface?

I am sorry, but you cannot use the Surface RT simply because you cannot install any 3rd party desktop programs on it.

You can download a Windows 7 ISO and make a bootable flashdrive with Rufus.  However, you will still need another computer to do it with.  You could try to find a friend who is willing to help you with their computer.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Please post the MODEL number of your TOSHIBA netbook.

#12 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

hi Bramsey88,

does your surface accept programs from microsoft store if so try this

Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. Iknow what it says but apparently its good for 8,8.1 as well

a sort of link for using it (not very helpful but its getting close)

http://www.tweakandtrick.com/2014/01/install-windows-usb-flash.html

Good luck

Hedge        (this is continuing from your other post)

Edit: Not sure about the RT bit

Edited by hedgeley, 06 September 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#13 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

Bramsey88.

A bit more info

Requirements:
* USB Flash Drive with minimum 4GB free space,
* Official Windows 7 ISO file from your Microsoft Store Account or your custom file.

How to Create Bootable Windows USB To install Windows 7 on Surface Pro(ignore this line Hedge)
* Download Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from microsoft website and install on your computer. Conect your Flash Drive to PC.
* Run the program, click “Browse” button to the Win 7 iSO source file > Next > USB device > select your media type from the drop down list, and then click “Begin copying”. The process will take a few minutes.
* If you get the error “Invalid ISO File. The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again.” during the above steps, use PowerISO (full version) to open your iso file, click File> File properties > Check UDF, hit OK and save the file.

Edited by hedgeley, 06 September 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#14 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

And a download link because msstore won't let me in

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

and my editing needs a load of work!

That's it for today rest well 

Hedge

Edited by hedgeley, 07 September 2014 - 02:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users