Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Allyria

Allyria

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

My friend has an HP 2000-2b19WM, originally running Windows 7 64 bit, but he then upgraded to 8.  It's currently running 8.1.  4 GB Ram, AMD E-300 APU with Raedon HD processor.  The problem is that about a week ago, he tried to install a game (Age of Empires) and during the installation, the computer froze.  So, he did a hard shut down, and then restarted it.  After it restarted and he logged in, all he got was a black screen with the arrow.  Windows never loaded.  So, two nights ago, I got to the screen where you troubleshoot problems, and tried the automatic repair option.  It failed.  Then I tried a system restore.  It also failed.  I did manage to get it to boot into safe mode using the command prompt.  Then I tried to use the steps here:http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/11/fix-windows-8-1-black-screen-issue/ on fixing the boot loader, but I did not use any recovery discs or flash drive because the computer has a recovery partition on the hard drive.  This also failed.  So, now I am not sure what to do from here.  I have not tried the refresh or reset methods.  Thank you in advance for all your help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:49 AM

Be aware that the AMD E-300 is just about the weakest processor in modern existence, so even the slightest of issues will make it choke.

In short, you are on the right track in assuming that something that your friend installed, was what broke the camel's back.

As you are able to get into Safe Mode, now is the time to uninstall any useless stuff and also to stop unnecessary programs from running in the background.

That alone might make enough of a difference that you'll be able to boot up in "normal" mode.

Naturally there's a ton of other things to consider, like malware, virus, damaged operating system, corrupt files, ad vitam eternam, so let's just start with the easy and obvious and see how successful we are with that.

If you don't know how to stop processes and services from starting up, just say so and I/we'll post instructions.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Swipe from the right to open the charms bar.

Tap or click on Settings.

Tap or click on Change PC settings at the bottom of the charms bar.

Choose Update and recovery from the list of options on the left of the PC settings window.

Note: Prior to Windows 8.1, choose General instead and then skip to Step 6.

Choose Recovery.

Locate Advanced startup, at the bottom of the list of options on your right.

Tap or click on Restart now.

Wait through the Please wait message until Advanced Startup Options opens.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Allyria

Allyria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

Swipe from the right to open the charms bar.

Tap or click on Settings.

Tap or click on Change PC settings at the bottom of the charms bar.

Choose Update and recovery from the list of options on the left of the PC settings window.

Note: Prior to Windows 8.1, choose General instead and then skip to Step 6.

Choose Recovery.

Locate Advanced startup, at the bottom of the list of options on your right.

Tap or click on Restart now.

Wait through the Please wait message until Advanced Startup Options opens.

This did it.  Thank you so much! :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users