Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got an email from someone that might be a scam

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ralph4

ralph4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

i got an email from someone saying that i have won money.would it be smart to reply to this guys email and see what he wants or should i just ignore him?

YAHOO & MSN WINDOW LIVE AWARD PROMOTION CENTER

Promotions/ Prize Award Department South Africa.

Dear Winner,

This is to inform you that you have won prize money of Eight Hundred and Twenty Thousand United State Dollars, ($820, 000,00) on our ongoing Monthly 2014 prize promotion, which was organized by YAHOO & MSN WINDOWS LIVE AND MICROSOFT AWARDS.

Yahoo/Msn collects all email addresses of the people that are active online, among the millions that subscribed to Yahoo and Hotmail and few from other E-mail Providers. Five people are selected this month to benefit from this promotion and you are one of the lucky Selected Winners.

PAYMENT OF PRIZE AND CLAIM

Winners shall be paid in accordance with his/her Settlement Centre. YAHOO & MSN WINDOWS LIVE PRIZE AWARD must be claimed no later than 30 days from date of Draw Notification. Any Prize not claimed within this period will be forfeited.

These numbers fall within the Africa Location file, you are requested to contact our fiduciary agent in South Africa and send your winning identification numbers to him:

Agent Name: Mr. Richardson Howard

Address: 2nd Floor SABC Universal Building Auckland Park, South Africa.

PLEASE CONTACT HIM THROUGH THIS EMAIL, ADDRESSES:

E-mail: hmrrichardson@hotmail.com

E-mail: hmrrichardson@yahoo.co.za

Phone: +27 313 18017

You are advised to send the following information’s to your agent to facilitate the release of your winning fund to you.

1. Full Names:…………………………...........………..

2. Country:……………………………............……..…..

3. Contact Address:………………..........………..….

4. Telephone Number:…………….............……….

5. Fax Number:……………………..............………….

6. Sex / Marital Status:……………….............…….

7. Occupation:……………………………............…….

8. Date of birth:………………………………...........…

9. Alternate Email If Any…………..………………..

Mr. Jacques Damour

Lottery coordinator

Yahoo! Inc & Msn Corp Board

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………...

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!!

Do not tell people about your Prize Award until your money is successfully handed over to you to avoid disqualification that may arise from double claim.

You may also receive similar e-mails from people portraying to be other Organizations or Yahoo Inc. This is solely to collect your personal information from you and lay claim over your winning. In event that you receive any e-mail similar to the notification letter that was sent to you, kindly delete it from your mail box and give no further correspondence to such person or body.

Yahoo shall not be held responsible for any loss of fund arising from the above mentioned.

i also forgot to mention that there are winning numbers in this document and i am removing that part for my safety.

Edited by ralph4, 05 September 2014 - 09:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

This is a SCAM.. DO NOT REPLY

Any Email You Receive From Someone You Don't Personally Know Offering You Money Is a Scam!
Any Email You Receive From Someone You Don't Know Using A Free Email Address Is A Scam!

see
http://419advancefeefraud.blogspot.com/2012/09/yahoo-msn-window-live-in-africa-award.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ralph4

ralph4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

thats what i figured this was and i'll bet once i give out my info to the hacker then thats probly where my pc is bleeped good thing im not replying to him.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

You're welcome. Yes never reply,that just provides info.

Do yourself a favor: Be Crime Smart.

Reporting E-mail Scams

419 scams
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

thats what i figured this was and i'll bet once i give out my info to the hacker then thats probly where my pc is bleeped good thing im not replying to him.

Yes, trust boopme, this is a scam. But it is not your PC that would be bleeped like you write. These criminals are not targetting your PC, they are targetting you. They want to steal your money.

If you would reply, they would explain to you that in order to collect the money, you need to pay them money, for example to cover the cost of the money transfer.

Companies like Microsoft and Yahoo don't run Internet lotteries.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

DS: But it is not your PC that would be bleeped like you write.

That was my thought too.

But as for their motivation, maybe an alternative objective is for them to steal your ID. And then use that in some malicious way.

Edited by palerider2, 06 September 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,622 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

That's a possibility too. But since no IDs are asked, I'm betting on stealing money.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:41 AM

Here is some information and helpful links to learn about email scams and how to protect yourself.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

http://scammer419.wordpress.com/scam-victim-stories/

A few stories about people who fell for it.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Stay On Top Of The Latest Online Fraud Alerts With These 6 Websites
Scam of the Week
Top 10 Scams

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

I don't even open these types of emails anymore, If I don't recognize it I don't open it plain and simple.  It took me a while to get this because I am new to the www.  Anything coming to my email that I don't recognize I don't even consider it something to be lost or of importance.  That is the problem with some folks I think.  Like me, I think, well - what if it something important?  Now I "Just say No!" LOL.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 Bleky

Bleky

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

I get Amazon order confirmation message with a attached invoice (hidden ransomware) alomst every day.
I got tired of deleting them LOL :P

Mac OS XI Tard-The world's most difficult-to please-operating system grumpy_cat.gif

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

I get Amazon order confirmation message with a attached invoice (hidden ransomware) alomst every day.
I got tired of deleting them LOL :P

Ooo, that does not sound good, what email are you using? and how do you know it is ransomware? I am trying to learn.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 Bleky

Bleky

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:03 PM

I use Outlook.I test the attachments in Virtualbox with Win 7 on Ubuntu 14.04

Edited by Bleky, 06 September 2014 - 02:07 PM.

Mac OS XI Tard-The world's most difficult-to please-operating system grumpy_cat.gif

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

....how do you know it is ransomware? I am trying to learn.

Ransomware is typically spread through social engineering...by opening a malicious email attachment (usually from an unknown or unsolicited source) or when clicking a malicious link in an email message, an instant message or on a social networking site. Ransomware can also be contracted by visiting malicious websites, adult websites, and in some cases installed through a computer worm that enters through a network vulnerability or following a previous infection from some types of botnets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users