Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shakebooty

shakebooty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:23 PM

Good day!

I have a Mac that I use for work. It is a Mac OS X, version 10.9.4.  I have been having major issues trying to get it to print to wireless printers in my network. It says it is connecting, but then it just stalls out and never prints.  If I want to print, I have to physically use a USB cord to get it to print, and the printers are not conveniently located; so this adds to my frustrations.

Occasionally, if I restart my computer, it will work for a couple of jobs, and then it goes back to the same nonsense.  I have also had the IT guy look at it and he is stumped. He typically deletes and re-adds the printers, but that "solution" doesn't work for more than a couple print jobs. I have good wifi so I am not sure what else could be behind the problem. 

I am hoping that you can offer some insight or solutions so I can overcome this frustration.

Many thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:20 AM

I still haven't heard anything about how to manage this issue. Can anyone please respond with some advice?  Thanks!!

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

Good day!

I have a Mac that I use for work. It is a Mac OS X, version 10.9.4.  I have been having major issues trying to get it to print to wireless printers in my network. It says it is connecting, but then it just stalls out and never prints.  If I want to print, I have to physically use a USB cord to get it to print, and the printers are not conveniently located; so this adds to my frustrations.

Occasionally, if I restart my computer, it will work for a couple of jobs, and then it goes back to the same nonsense.  I have also had the IT guy look at it and he is stumped. He typically deletes and re-adds the printers, but that "solution" doesn't work for more than a couple print jobs. I have good wifi so I am not sure what else could be behind the problem. 

I am hoping that you can offer some insight or solutions so I can overcome this frustration.

Many thanks!!

Are the printers themselves wirelessly connected to the network? Or are they hardwired into the network and you are just printing wirelessly from your computer and then the wired connection of the printer takes over?

Does anyone else print the same way as you…and have the same problems? Or are you the only? If others do have the problem, are all of them using Macs?

Does this happen with any size document? Or does it only happen with larger size (i.e. file size) documents?

Basically, I am trying to see if we can narrow down what might be causing the issue…the Mac, some part of the network connection between your Mac and the printer, or the printer itself.

Edit:

If I don't get back right away with a reply, that is because my life is rather hectic at the moment. Feel free to PM me if I have not responded to your reply within 48 hours.

Edited by smax013, 11 September 2014 - 09:13 PM.

#4 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the response. I am the OnLY person who has this problem. It doesn't matter how big the document is. I am trying to find out if printers are wifi or hardwired. My guess is hard wired since, in the past, we could still print despite crappy internet (I live in China so this is frequent. ), so I don't think we are a purely wireless network. I had my computer sent in for repairs, thinking that it's the Mac but the guy just switched out my fan. Can't really say if he did anything above that since it still doesn't work. I don't think it was sent to an authorized shop, so it doesn't surprise me. My tech guy at work has cleaned and reinstalled the OS twice, different versions, but that didn't make a difference.

I hope this information provides more clues.

Thanks!!!

#5 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

Okay, I got it confirmed: The printers are hardwired into the network and we are just printing wirelessly from computers.

Any suggestions now?

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Have you seen OS X Mavericks: Solving printing problems?

#7 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

Thanks Buddyme2,

Yep, all those ideas were exhausted prior to this thread.  

The last solution (Replace a corrupted printer queue window), has worked a few times. It gets me through a few print jobs, but then, after a few minutes, the trick doesn't work.  The jobs get paused indefinitely. It's obnoxious. 

Hopefully there are some other options.

#8 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

I also can't connect to the server--do you think that might be related to my printer issues?

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

It is sounding like a network issue of some sort to me. The fact that you have both printing problems and cannot connect to the server.

Have you tried using an ethernet connection temporarily to see if that solves the problem (or is this what you meant be using USB to print as some Macs require a USB or ThunderBolt "dongle" to connect to ethernet)? I am not suggesting it as a permanent solution, but rather to see if things work better when you are connected by ethernet (i.e. NOT wirelessly). If so, then it suggests that either there is a problem with the WiFi connection on your end or the company's end.

Another thing to try would be to try turning off Airport (aka WiFi) on the computer when you have a problem and then turn it back on to see if you can now print.

#10 shakebooty

shakebooty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Thanks BC. I have turned the wifi on and off before. I typically cancel the print job, turn the wifi on and off, and attempt to print again, but to no avail. I haven't tried connecting via Ethernet. I can give that a try.

If it was a network issue, how would I advise my tech guy to fix it? What approach should he take?

Thanks again for the help.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

The first thing is to try to narrow down where the problem might be.

If you try ethernet and don't have the same problem, then that suggests it is an issue with WiFi…either the WiFi chipset/card in the computer, the WiFi driver on your computer, or maybe the WiFi access point…or maybe even some interference on the WiFi channel.

The first step is to see if you have the same issue with ethernet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users