Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet froze my whole computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ftron

Ftron

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

I have a

Toshiba Satellite A205-S7464 System Unit

Model PSAF3U-07300V

Serial number 97098275Q

Running on Vista Home Premium

32 Bit Operating System

2038 MB Memory

Processor: Intel ® Core ™ Duo CPU T5250 @1.50GHz (1.50GHz)

Last time I opened internet explorer, a white blank window popped up, saying navigation to website has been canceled. That is all it says on this window. It gives me no options  on how to get out of it.  I tried pressing on escape, that did not work. I tried Alt-Ctrl-Delete, that did not work either. So I pressed the power button to turn off the computer. But when I turned it back on, it went right back to that window. This time I turned it off using the power button, then removed the battery and power plug, and waited 5 minutes. When I turned it back on, it went right back to the same window. My computer is now frozen on this window with this message, and no matter what I do, I can’t get out of it.

I tried opening safe mode with networking, to install Virus and other scanners. But

When I tried to install Microsoft essentials in safe mode, so I could run a scan, it said Can’t install Microsoft security essentials on a computer running in safe mode.  I tried to install Adaware Virus Scanner, Avira, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Safety Scanner, Spybot, Trend Micro House Calls, and Ponda. None of them would install in safe mode with networking.

System restore will not work. I thought about doing a factory recovery, but this computer does not have a factory backup.

Also, I tried using a USB on it, but the USB ports are not working.

I don’t know what else to try. Can someone please give me some suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

Create a bootable Linux distro CD (on another PC of course) and use it to boot the lappy into Linux. If Linux boots up then you should be able to see the other OS. If the USB ports work in Linux, then you can import portable malware scanning programs to a folder in Windows that you can use when in Safe Mode. You will need to be able to bring up your BIOS so that you can make the optical drive a bootable drive.

This is all dependent on the USB ports being useable in Linux, of course, but give it a try.

Create a Live disk ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/ .

Linux distro with a small footprint ... http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm .

#3 Ftron

Ftron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thank you ElfBane for your Reply.

I tried what you suggested, but I 

could not get the USB ports to work.

This is my sisters computer, and she