Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Avast Free, need good portable (non-install) 2nd AV scanner

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tgm1024

tgm1024

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

I usually use AV-Comparatives.org for my antivirus information, but I couldn't find any section within it where they show portable applications.

I would like an anti-malware scanner that I can fire up at a moments notice for a "second opinion", and doesn't stay resident on my system (Win7/64 Ult).

Whenever I see suggestion lists out there for such things, I'm always wondering if the site was itself a front for a malware program.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi tgm1024 and :welcome:

Kaspersky Virus Removal tool

Dr.WEB CureIT

ESET Online scanner

Superantispyware portable

Download,use it and delete,except ESET you must uninstall but keep the exe and next time again.

Thank you!

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Forgot to say that Kaspersky also will install on your system,but after everything is over you just click X to close it and will uninstall by itself.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware or get a second opinion:

Note: Most of these tools are stand-alone applications contained within zipped files...meaning they require no installation so after extraction, they can be copied to and run from usb drives.

You can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan. ESET is one of the more effective online scanners...as noted by Alex&Vanko.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

quietman7 Sophos and Panda must be installed so will stay resident.Emsisoft also will stay resident I think.Do you believe this Norman is good?

Thank you!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

This is a comprehensive list I put together for those asking about tools to supplement their anti-virus and know a few of them need to be installed. I didn't have time to edit them out but included the note about most of them being stand-alone apps.

Norman has been around for a long time and they are a reputable anti-virus vendor. Norman Malware Cleaner is a non-comprehensive tool designed for use on computers which have already been infected with viruses, rootkits, worms, Trojans and other forms of malware. The tool is versatile in that it is portable, frequently updated and can be configured to scan from a flash drive. Norman Malware Cleaner is limited in scope because it uses a list of specifically targeted malware in its definition database and will only detect/remove what is found on that list.

Norman Malware Cleaner Review

#7 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

This is a comprehensive list I put together for those asking about tools to supplement their anti-virus and know a few of them need to be installed.

I agree with this.Sorry,because OP or author of the topic asked so the scanner must be.

Thank you!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

You're welcome.

#9 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

Small and smart app that could be helpful as the scanner (even in real-time) is Crystal Security (by Kardo Kristal) based on VT engines. New beta versions are also in portable mode.

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:29 AM

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware ...you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. Not that I am implying you are inexperienced...just speaking generally. However, if you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users