Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't factory reset my windows 8 machine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Teblol

Teblol

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi Everyone, Teb here with my first post on the forum. I am hoping one of you have run into this problem and have a good solution. I downloaded files that I didn't want, and they have proven to be nothing but trouble. An example of one of the files is an extension call "PriceChop". To remove it I went to the control panel and uninstalled. Then I went into all of the web browsers on my computer, went into the settings, and removed the extensions. They appear to be removed until I restart my computer. I go back into Chrome, and the extension is still there. I decided to download a program called SpyHunter which is a malware remover. I ran the program about 8 times and it is still unable to find and remove the files. I searched and searched but have been unable to find a way to remove the unwanted extensions. It has gotten to the point where the virus removed my Norton anti virus security and is trying to log into windows by itself. My wife woke me up to tell me that my computer was "freaking out". Sure enough it was trying to log into windows. I would see a password being entered and then a log in attempt. I am at the point where I just wanted to factory reset. Well, jokes on me. I go into search and typed "reset". I choose to completely reset to factory settings. When it goes to start the process it tells me I have files missing and to insert media. I come to find out that after I upgraded to windows 8.1 via the windows store, I am now unable to factory reset. Something about the ISO file no longer being there. 

So, I now leave the topic in your hands, and hope you have a solution for this mess. 

Thank you all in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

If you could get your hands on a Windows 8.1 disk/USB then you can use that to boot into the advanced options and reset the PC. As most helpers and advisors on here would probably agree, resetting the PC should always be a last-ditch effort when all other options were exhausted. You could try visiting the malware removal forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ and posting the logs requested to get help by a trained BC member.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 Teblol

Teblol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for your fast reply Aerys! I wouldn't want to do a full reset if it wasn't necessary. However, since it has been on my computer for a couple days now, and removed my antivirus, I just want to wipe everything to be safe. 

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

Well if that is absolutely what you want to do then you will need some form of Windows 8.1 media, and you can use the instructions at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media to create a DVD/USB.

-Jaime Lannister

#5 Teblol

Teblol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

The instructions state that I will need a windows 8.1 product key. The problem with this is that I did the free upgrade through the windows store so I do not have one. I have a windows 8 product key, but it also states that this will not work. 

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Here is a quote from Winsupersite:

"Still want to grab that Windows 8.1 ISO with your Windows product key? Here's how.

In a web browser, navigate to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only Then, click the light blue Install Windows 8 button. Windows 8 Setup will run. Input your Windows 8 product key when prompted and Setup will tell you which version of the Windows 8 Setup ISO it will download. (This is based on the PC you're currently using If you start Setup from a 64-bit version of Windows, you will download a 64-bit ISO, for example.) After the download begins, close Setup.

Now, return to that Upgrade Windows with only a product key page. This time, click the light blue Install Windows 8.1 button. Windows Setup will run, as before, but you won't be prompted for your product key. Instead, the Setup ISO will download automatically!"

That should get you to the screen where you can choose to create a media, and pick USB or ISO for use with a DVD. Hopefully this works for you.

-Jaime Lannister

#7 Teblol

Teblol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks a lot! I will try this out when I get home, and advise if it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users