Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shasmay

shasmay

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/210645/not-the-virus-lsassexe-operation-failed/ - Hamluis.

During the setup, I had got a problem saying, "Setup needs some files (it couldn't find agt0407._dl which was there). Please insert the XP cd", even when I the cd was inserted already. So thinking of it to b a problem with the cd, I restarted PC with the same cd, re-written wid same version (SP3). Then I started getting an error saying, "Fatal Error. An error has been encountered that has prevented Setup from continuing." It further showed log file with "Failed to install product catalog AND XP signature is invalid." Then on searching google, I found a forum on microsoft saying the reason would be incomplete deletion of 'catroot2' folder. I followed their solution. But the next time I restarted, I got this problem.
The message popping and vanishing quickly and then reboot.

I read garmanma's reply above, but couldn't understand HOW to reformat at this stage when the setup restarts with that error message each time I turn on PC. I hope there would be a solution asap.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2014 - 08:45 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:55 AM

To install XP...you need to have an XP install CD and legitimate license.  You must change the boot order in the BIOS so that the system boots from the optical drive, not the hard drive.

If...when trying to install XP...you received any message indicating the the "signature is invalid"...that would indicate to me that you are not doing a clean install and are trying to use an upgrade version of XP on a system with a Win 9 O/S.

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#3 shasmay

shasmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Right now, I just get "Setup is being restarted..." on a blue screen followed by error "The requested operation was unsuccessful", be it 'safe mode' or 'vga mode' or 'latest configuration tht worked'. And the XP cd I'm using was extracted from an iso setup file I got online. Is there a definite way to begin this incomplete xp setup just from the 'format partition' stage ? I am not sure, but I thought I could use something called 'jumper' for formatting harddisk completely. But I fear that it would wipe away every drive other than 'C' too.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

Well...I know of no XP .iso files that are legal which will enable anyone to do a clean install.  There are legal .isos  for the SPs, but not for the basic/entire XP O/S.

I'd say that's your problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users