Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

World of Warcraft Build

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bahawolf

Bahawolf

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hey there!

I'm looking for suggestions on my current part list (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bahawolf/saved/jVhFf7). I'll be doing the following with this PC...

• Playing World of Warcraft (hopefully on Ultra)
  • Light gaming including Sims 3 / 4
  • Web development
  • General usage (internet browsing, etc)

Please note that I'll be upgrading the graphics card (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-06gp43787kr) within 30-45 days of purchase, if I can't play on "Ultra" within WoW. AMD cards do not run WoW well (in my own experience), so I've stuck to Nvidia for this build.

• Are there any further suggestions?
  • Will the "temporary" card I've picked probably give me the ability to run the game on "Ultra" within the native resolution of the 27" monitor?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hi Bahawolf and :welcome:

I think Core i5 is enough for any game.Not more than 4 cores are needed.Yes may overclock and rise the clock frequency.This Core i7 you can not load full.For this game World of Warcraft GTX760 is enough.If you plan in future heavy games like Crysis and Metro may be not in ultra possible.

EVGA Videocards are very good but I don`t think so about PSU.About monitor I don`t know.My eyes like LG or Philips.Acer don`t like.

Dell are expensive.

Thank you!

#3 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

Also for higher resolution more video memory is needed.This GTX760 has 4GB so right choice,because there is 2Gb model.

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Like Alex&Vanko said, unless you will be doing a lot of video encoding or using server applications, you will not really benefit from the i7(hyper threading). I recommend the i5-4670 if you do not plan to overclock and the i5-4670k if you do. In regards to your GPU, that is kind of overkill for just WoW, you could use ultra settings with a cheaper card, like the 2GB GTX 770 and it still supports 2K screens. You would also only need a 650W PSU with the parts I listed.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

you could use ultra settings with a cheaper card, like the 2GB GTX 770 and it still supports 2K screens. You would also only need a 650W PSU with the parts I listed.

Maybe GTX750 you mean,because this one is more expensive. :wink:

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

Maybe GTX750 you mean,because this one is more expensive. :wink:

i was referring to the 780 he mentioned, but thinking about it more, the 2K gaming will most likely need more VRAM, so the 4GB 760/770 would be best, and the 770 is more expensive :P

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#7 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

EDIT: Missed ultra, scratch my suggestion.

Edited by Zerue, 05 September 2014 - 10:39 PM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

EVGA Videocards are very good but I don`t think so about PSU.About monitor I don`t know.My eyes like LG or Philips.Acer don`t like.
Dell are expensive.

Thank you!

EVGA power supplies vary. They are made by a few different OEMs. The G2 type chosen here are very highly rated. Some of the others not so much, although they are in general at least competent and deliver their rated power.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

if you can wait, the new maxwell gtx 970 and 980 are due to be released in a few weeks. this should drive down prices on the 770 and 780 considerably.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#10 Bahawolf

Bahawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

Hey synergy,

I'm going to wait to get the graphics cards until next month. At that point, they should be out already and I'll either get the 900 series cards (I heard the 980 might be $500), or I'll get the discounted 780.

Thanks!

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'm running WoW on my machine, listed in my profile, on Ultra using a GeForce GTX 670.

YxfxTsW.png

I'm getting 60 FPS, even in a 25 man Raid Finder running two additional screens, one with a browser and one with a video/movie. 90+ FPS during regular screens.

#12 Bahawolf

Bahawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Awesome! Thank you for showing that!

Do you think I'd be able to get the same even with it being 1440P?

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Since my video card is two years old I would suspect that getting 1440p at 60FPS shouldn't be an issue with a newer mid to high range video card.  Since I'm not having any issues I'm not looking to upgrade the video card and WoW isn't very multiple monitor friendly.  I am able to run three screen, but not easily and other than being able to do it, I haven't checked out my FPS running 5760x1080 for an extended period, but I was able to maintain 60+ FPS flying around.

#14 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

I don't know if you have changed the pcpartpicker since the OP but I just looked at it and it made me laugh out loud. For the uses that you have described I don't see why you would need a *computer* that cost more than $589.99, much less a video card. Total overkill. So if money is an issue, yeah, you could spend a LOT less imo.

#15 Bahawolf

Bahawolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

Hey Bludshot,

I appreciate it. :-) Money isn't an issue and I'm just putting together a build that I like and that I know can play WoW very well. If I choose to play other games later (like BF4), I'd like to be able to do so as well.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users