Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Monitor Output :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Smokin House

Smokin House

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me out with this problem. Let me give you some background.

Currently running a ASUS P4S800 board with a Pentium 4 2.66GHz processor, 2.5GB DDR PC3200 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 and an 80GB Samsung IDE hard drive (I know its small!) with Windows 7 Ultimate.

This all works ok but I wanted a larger HD and quicker pc.........so.......

I was given a computer (without a hard drive) by a friend who says it was working, as far as they can remember, it is an ASUS P5VD2-VM which has a Pentium Dual Core 1.8GHz processor installed, 1GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM.

So I bought a 1TB sata hard drive and cloned my 80GB drive to my 1TB drive with Paragon partition manager 10 (left the 80gb in the current machine and used a USB connected caddy for the 1TB drive). It seemed to work fine and cloned everything when I looked in the 1TB drive.

So I connected the 1TB to the P5VD2-VM board via sata cable thinking it would be a case of: put the drive in, put my windows disc in the DVD drive and repair windows OS so it works with the new board. If only it would have been that simple.

I get no output from the boards video out, the monitor goes to sleep straight away when plugged in, take the cable out and I get the message check cable. BTW I'm using the monitor ok on the P4 board.

So I think, maybe the on board video if naff or has a problem working with win7.

I then get a nVidia GeForce 210 1034MB DDR3 PCIe (VGA/DVI/HDMI) thinking it will resolve the problem, but no, still no video output from ALL 3 outputs!

I ring ASUS to see if they can help, they suggest trying different RAM and processors,
so these are the different combinations I have tried:

dual core with 2x512MB DDR2 RAM
dual core with 1GB DDR2 RAM

pentium 4 2.8GHz with 2x512MB DDR2 RAM
pentium 4 2.8GHz with 1GB DDR2 RAM

pentium 4 2.93GHz with 2x512MB DDR2 RAM
pentium 4 2.93GHz with 1GB DDR2 RAM

Sadly nothing at all being output with or without the video card installed clear.png

I'm pulling my hair out here trying to work out what the problem could be as the board and caps look fine clear.png

Oh one last thing, I don't hear any beeps from the boards speaker (which is there), hard drive powers up ok and CPU fan is also runs.

So if anyone can please help me getting this P5 board running properly with the dual core, I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you for taking the time to read my problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

hello, and welcome to BC!! :welcome:

thank you for providing  the details of the hardware in question.

is the monitor being hooked up with the standard VGA cable?

there may be an internal monitor menu that has a few options pertaining to the display. look for the "menu" button on its bezel and browse thru to look for settings that toggle..

there are also BIOS config options for the display that you can check. most of the time, you can get into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key immediately on power up.  PEG (PCI Enabled Graphics) is the option that you want to toggle on if you are using the 210 or other video card.. you want to toggle it off if you are using the motherboard video out port.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

You can't just clone a drive and put it in any PC case. There are usually insurmountable driver issues. When an OS is installed on a rig it uses the driver set for that MB, and you can't just slap it in another case with a different MB.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

oh yes, the windows license is locked onto the motherboard, even though it is loaded on the hard drive, windows still looks at the motherboard for the license before proceeeding. but you would still get to display with or without the windows validity.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

It is generally against the terms of use to use that copy of windows on a different computer (depending on the version) also not recommended.

However if you get no video (no post screen etc) then this issue is hardware related. As to what is anyones guess. You can try these steps below:

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

If you never get a stable system with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware to get into bios:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code.

While you have the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

I saw you mentioned the caps were ok but double check everywhere.

Edited by zingo156, 05 September 2014 - 10:24 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Smokin House

Smokin House
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for your replies. I will impliment your thoughts and respond to each of you once done.

Edited by Smokin House, 05 September 2014 - 10:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users