Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Slows Down Internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AFguy11

AFguy11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:19 AM

So I have an issue and I would really appreciate it if I could receive some help in resolving it.

I have internet through Comcast / Xfinity. I am using a Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem for the Comcast/Xfinity line coming into my house. So it goes from outside my house to inside the Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem. And from there I have a Cat 5e Ethernet cable going from LAN port 1 of the Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem to the WAN port on my Cisco RV 220W Firewall. And from there I have two desktops connected into LAN ports 1 and 2 on the Cisco RV 220W Firewall wiredly. I also have several items connected to the Cisco RV 220W Firewall wirelessly.

This is where the dilemma comes in at: the two desktops computer connected wiredly achieves the desired internet speed I am paying for (50 Mbps), but the devices I have connected to the Cisco RV 220W Firewall wirelessly is only achieving (15 Mbps). I have contacted Cisco to see if it was there hardware issues and they assured me it was not, and I am convinced they are correct. Somewhere and I am not sure where the bandwidth is being condensed. The individual at Cisco said I should be getting about no more than an 8% loss in bandwidth wirelessly even with the firewall processing the bandwidth so I should be seeing around (46 Mbps or at the least 42 Mbps). There is no explanation for the 70% loss in bandwidth. I am asking for anyone to please assist me.

If there is any additional information needed, screen shots, etc. please feel free to ask and I will be happy to provide that information. And I want to thank you in advance. 

Note: The main reasons I am using the Cisco RV 220W Firewall and not just the Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem are: range and security. Range because I have a large house the Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem gives a weak signal on the second floor of my house. Security because the firewall has more advanced security networking features that the Motorola Surfboard SBG 6580 Cable Modem does not have by itself.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

What are the wifi cards using for connection?  B, G or N?

http://glassonionblog.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/wireless-protocols-ieee-80211-a-b-g-n-compared/

#3 AFguy11

AFguy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

First thanks for the reply. And I had it set on B/G mixed and after reading the link you left me, I moved it to G/N mixed, however I am still getting the same speed. Any other suggestions?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

Wander meant in your PC or whatever is connecting to it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 AFguy11

AFguy11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

Oh sorry. In the laptop in question that I am using to connect wirelessly, it is an Killer Wireless 1202 which I believe runs B, G, and N and it operates in the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users