Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring a Hard Drive from one Computer to Another

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:24 AM

I'm not sure this question is appropriate for this forum, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. I currently have a Dell OptiPlex GX280. Specs include: 3.20 gigahertz, Intel Pentium 4, 16 kilobyte primary memory cache,
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache. Without going into details, I'll just say that the thing is slow and is having a number of issues, like the sound stopping, memory not being recognized, drives not being recognized. I've updated drivers, but that doesn't seem to help.

Anyway, I'm not looking to fix this thing. I just got a new refurbished Dell computer. This one is a Dell OptiPlex 380 with an Intel Dual-Core 2.6GHz processor and 2GB of memory, My hope is that I can just put the old hard drive into the new computer. They are both Dell Optiplex computers. Eventually, I would like to transfer files and programs over to the new hard drive, but I'd rather do that later when I have more time.

I use XP, like XP, and don't want to stop using XP. I have an XP install disk that I've never used and want to put that on the new drive, but first I need to reformat the drive and erase Windows 7, after creating some recovery disks. Then the plan is to use laplink to transfer files and programs from the old drive to the new one. I've done that before and was quite happy with the results. I'm considering creating partitions on the new drive so I can have both OS's on the drive, but I know I have to put XP on the drive before putting Windows 7 on it.

I need my computer for working at home, which is why I don't want to mess around more than I need to until I have more time. But I really need a computer that runs better than my current computer.

So...tell me what's wrong with my plan...what can go wrong?  Am I going to kill my "new" computer by putting in the old hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

If I understand....you want to remove hdd from newer computer and pop in the hdd from the old computer into the newer.

Then you are hoping that the newer computer will boot into XP from the old computer's hdd. It ain't gonna work...

And to top it off...you have also said there are lots of problems with the old XP.

My advice...plan to ditch XP and spend your time setting up 7 the way you want it.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

Unless the components are exactly the same...taking a hard drive with XP on it to another system...should lead to problems. 

The settings and drivers are for different motherboards...the activation of XP is tied to the old motherboard and MS considers a change of motherboard to be a change of system.

If you want to run the same programs on a different system, do a clean install of XP on the second system and then reinstall the programs.  Anything other than that is just asking for a lot of wasted time, IMO.

If you truly need a "better system" to maintain the status quo...that is the route I suggest.

FWIW:  Running Win 7 with 2GB of RAM...is likely to yield more frustration than running XP with 1GB of RAM, IMO.

The simple way to pep up your old system...stop expecting performance with only 1GB of RAM...increase the RAM and you will see a difference.  That system supports 4GB of RAM.  With today's prices, that would be the a very inexpensive way to derive greater satisfaction from the current system, IMO.

Louis

#4 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

As I said, there are hardware problems with the current computer.  I have more memory installed on it, but it's not recognized. The computer is pretty much dying. I don't want Windows 7. I don't want to reinstall all my programs. Among other reasons for that, I have a LOT of programs and too little time.

But yes, I get the motherboard deal, so I won't just put the old hard drive in the newer computer. That's why I thought I'd ask before I did it. I thought there might be a possibility of a problem. I'll have to set up the new hard drive as I explained, except maybe for the reinstalling of Windows 7.   I'll just reformat the disk, do a clean install of my new Windows XP OS and then transfer programs and files using laplink. As I said, I've done that before and it works beautifully.

If I were to get more memory for the new computer, I could then install Windows 7 in a new partition at some point, right? 

When I can afford a better computer, I'll get one and start using Windows 7. That's part of my problem. I just incurred some massive medical bills, leaving me with very little disposable income, but at the same time, I am in desperate need of a new computer.  Since the computer is functioning, I can take some time to set up the new one the way I want it. I was just hoping for something fast at first.  Oh well.  I should have known better.  Lol

Thanks for the help!  I am SO glad I asked about this.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,279 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users