Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless to computer not working

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 socaler

socaler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

My router is connected to several hardwares, including printer.  For the past several weeks the wireless connection to the computer fails and this occurs several times a day.  However all the other wireless objects continue to work fine, including the aforementioned printer. 

I've had my ISP visit twice and there is nothing wrong with the modem-router which under the circumstances I suspected.  They inform me it is a computer only issue.

The problem continues unabated.   To reiterate, it appears to affect only the computer and no other hardware working off the same modem-router.

Needless to say I do use Windows 7.

If anyone has some suggestions, much appreciated.

Edited by socaler, 04 September 2014 - 10:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community socaler :)

Try removing wireless network profile then connect manually again. It is also advisable to check if any recent windows updates have affected your wireless driver by going to 'View update history' in control panel and or looking for updated version driver only from the manufacturing support site.

Tekken

#3 socaler

socaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:47 AM

The driver was updated but did not seem to help.  As this has been an ongoing issue for several months, many updates have been installed so I'm at a loss determining which individual update might be the culprit.  Your suggestion about removing wireless network profile I will try but my profile was changed once since the wireless became unpredictable without any success but nevertheless I will try that suggestion again.   The fact the wireless is so inconsistant seems to make it even more difficult to solve.

Thanks for your response.

Edited by socaler, 05 September 2014 - 01:52 AM.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

Is it a desktop or a laptop?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

Ok, is it a wireless connection loss, not connecting to the router when acquiring IP address or fails to connect when the wireless signal is in range and an error message appears? Post also the model and type as requested by ElfBane.

Tekken

#6 socaler

socaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

It's an HP desktop (Pavilion Elite)240F.  At times it does not connect to the router.  The signal is well within range (8 feet) with no obstructions.  No error message appears other than the troubleshoooting program which informs me there are no connections available.  

This outage will continue until I exercise something  proactive such as resetting the router and restarting the computer but even then the results are highly inconsistant.

To reiterate in my original post, other hardware is being used by the router with no loss of signal and my ISP has assured me it is not the router which has recently been replaced.

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:45 PM

The WLAN card in that PC is probably starting to fail (works for a while, gets weaker, finally dies). You can;

1. Try a wireless dongle. If that solves the problem, then the WLAN card is definitely failing. Now the options are ...

2. Leave the dongle installed and go with that, or

3. Replace WLAN card. On most lappys they are easy to replace, however, I believe the WLAN card will cost more than the dongle.

#8 socaler

socaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Is there a way of checking the functionality of the WLAN card?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

It may be a wireless card problem so using a usb adapter may need to be tested in your case. It could also be interferences since it is an intermittent problem or a router needs to be configured on a different channel broadcast signal. Can you post the router/modem model next time please?

Edited by jhayz, 05 September 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Tekken

#10 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

If this is your machine, http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-240f-core-i5-650-3-2-ghz-series/specs/ , under "networking" it says 'wireless LAN supported'. That usually means the MB will support the installation of a discrete WLAN card. So I assume you must have one.

What happens with these things is that the WLAN card starts to fail, OR the WLAN chipset on the MB starts to fail/become intermittent. The way you test WLAN card functionality is to replace it with a known good/reliable one. If that fixes the problem then your cost is only the price of a WLAN card, which are inexpensive. If it doesn't fix the problem then what's wrong is the WLAN chipset on the MB is failing. That means a MB replacement... which is much cost and effort.

What most peeps do in the event it's the MB, is install a USB WLAN dongle, and go with that. WiFi dongles can be fairly expensive, ~$60 -$100, or they can be cheap. Caveat Emptor.

P.S. On post#7 above, ignore the advice of item 3. That info is for a laptop.

Edited by ElfBane, 06 September 2014 - 04:22 AM.

#11 socaler

socaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

For the past two days I've had no interruption re: wireless internet connection.  However, since this is an intermittant problem I do expect this will rear its ugly head again.  If and when it does I believe I will go with the dongle as you suggested.  I think I have one somewhere as I used it with an older computer without internal wireless or I will purchase one.  It seems the simplest solution.

Thanks for your input.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:19 AM

Intermittent means interferences also as within 8 feet only?

The signal is well within range (8 feet) with no obstructions.

At 8 feet only, you could also use just wired cable which is preferrable.

Tekken

#13 socaler

socaler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

By intermittent I mean something that starts and stops irregularly.   Also, I cannot use a wired cable because although only 8 feet  it would cross over a hallway entrance.  Preferable? Yes.

Feasible? No. 

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

It could also be interferences since it is an intermittent problem or a router needs to be configured on a different channel broadcast signal.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users