Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roguekiller changing windows settings?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robo11

Robo11

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hello everyone!

I need some help with resolving a possible issue. A few weeks ago, I got some adware on my computer called "ads by all day savings". I was able to remove it using adwcleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, And hitmanpro. Just today, I found out about Roguekiller. I did a scan with it, And it found a few registry entries, And a PUM.homepage in the web browser section with the value of "About:Home" I removed it, And did another scan. It found the same PUM. I removed it again. After that, I started Firefox. I noticed that my theme was set back to default (I had a glossy black one before). I also noticed that it was starting about 5 tabs. I quickly closed Firefox. Then, I noticed that there were shortcuts to Computer and my User folder on my Desktop. I quickly shutdown my computer. I was thinking about restoring to a System Image I made the other day, But I want another take on the matter.

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

Even if you have removed the virus, there can be issues with your internet browsers until you set them back to normal.

In FF, you hit Tools and go to "addons", and look through the extensions for anything unwanted.

If you go to "Properties" from Tools, you'll be able to reset FF's homepage to whatever you like.

You can also change the default search engine at the top right hand side of the page.

If you reset everything in FF and the problem comes back, then your machine is still infected.

If not, have a good day.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

You have a couple of options that you should be aware of.

a.  You can initiate a new topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum, posting your RogueKiller log and providing a concise summary of pertinent facts.

b.  I can move this topic to the Am I Infected forum, where members will attempt to determine if your system is currently infected and provide guidance.  Please...do not post or mention the RogueKiller log in this forum, if you elect to go that route.

I would suggest Option A, since you have the log from RogueKiller. 

Louis

#4 Robo11

Robo11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have one more question: Could this be caused by running ComboFix, And then stopping it part way through? (I know, A bad idea, But I didn't know at the time).

Thanks again for your help :)

Edited by Robo11, 05 September 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

You have the options I previously mentioned.

This forum doesn't discuss malware...this is the Windows 7 forum, for Win 7 issues.  The two malware forums I mentioned can probably answer any questions you have about malware, apps that deal with malware, and such.

Louis

#6 Robo11

Robo11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ok, Sorry about not posting in one of those two forums (This is my first pose here). I would much appreciate it if you could move this topic to the Am I Infected forum. Thanks again :)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Do Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and paste the DDS log requested into a new topic you initiate in the forum containing the Prep Guide.  You should also paste your RogueKiller log into same topic.  The personnel in that forum are familiar with and skilled in handling situations involving both RogueKiller and ComboFix logs, while the personnel in this forum are not.

Good luck :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users