Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba HDD/SSD Alert & Can't save or open PNG files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 morethanrubies

morethanrubies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello.  I HOPE this is the right sub forum.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C675 running on Windows 7 Home Premium.

For the past month I have been getting an alert upon start up that says:

Toshiba HDD/SSD Alert - unable to get disk information

Everything works just fine still EXCEPT for one problem.  I am a graphic designer and I am always in Photoshop creating PNG files, after awhile (can be 8 hours, or can be as little as 1 hour) the alert will pop back up in the bottom task bar and then suddenly the PNG I was working on won't save.  I will have to save it as a TIFF.  If I try to open any other PNG files they will not open it says it can not parse the file type.  In the preview of the PNG in the folder, it has a black background behind it instead of a white one.  I have to reboot then I get another hour or several, whenever it decides to stop saving PNGs again.

This isn't life or death but it is horribly inconvenient taking me 2-3 times longer to work on projects because i have to keep checking each PNG to see if it saved.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this or may I need a new hard disk?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

Back up your data and then get a new SSD (if it is a SSD) or HDD ASAP. HDDs have moving parts that wear out and SSDs can get "storage fatigue"(constant read/writing in the same area of storage) which can corrupt data.

You're lucky... the lappy is letting you know something's not right... take advantage of it.

#3 morethanrubies

morethanrubies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thank you! Any tips on discovering which one it might be? I am hoping it's the hdd lol if I replace the SSD I might as well buy a new lappy.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

Seeing as how this is a budget lappy, I doubt the hard disk is a SSD. But to make sure;

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Or you can read the specs yourself and determine what you need. It's supposed to have come with a 320GB platter drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users