Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 system restore will not work

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 daveleonard

daveleonard

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

I have tried several different restore points but none will work. I keep getting the notice afterward that system restore did not restore successfully. Any ideas? I lost my installation disk so I can't re-install windows.  Thanks, Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Have you tried going back to a restore point after booting into safe mode? Are you trying to restore from the operating system, or the recovery partition?

Does your computer have a recovery partition? If not, it may not be too late to create a system repair disk. At the start menu, type system repair disc and follow the prompts. You'll need a blank CD.

#3 daveleonard

daveleonard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

I tried to reboot in safe mode when I shut down the computer but f8 does not work when I reboot. All I have available to me is f2 all about bios. I live on a small island in the Bohol Sea. The only way for me to get a blank cd is to travel to Cagayan De Oro City, I will pick one up next time I am there. 

I just don't understand what has happened. I have been trying restore from wiithin windows since f8 isn't available to me.

I there any way I can download a new win 7 to my computer?

Thanks, Dave

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

Do you mean of reinstalling windows 7 or just using system restore? If the latter, can you provide the reason behind using system restore for a more clearer view of the problem at hand? Also, please answer the question by sflatechguy on whether it is a laptop(?) with a recovery partition including the model and brand next time.

Tekken

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hi Dave,

As mentioned above, we would need to know the brand and model to give you more info.

Some brands use other F keys to indirectly get to the offer to boot into safe mode.

That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath for the restore points to work, seeing as how they have all failed up 'till now, but if you do get into Safe Mode, it's worth a try.

To answer your question, yes you can download a Win 7 ISO that matches your own system, but you'll need to make sure you have your activation key before doing so, and more importantly, you'll need a DVD to burn it to.

There are ways to mount the ISO into a thumb drive, but that's a wee bit more complicated.

As mentioned in the posts above, you most likely have a built in OEM factory restore partition in your computer that can bring your machine back to the state it was in the day you bought it.

If you decide to proceed with an OEM restore, remember that it will wipe all your data, so you'll have to back it all up before doing the job.

I/we will be able to give you instructions for doing an OEM restore, once we know the make and model of your machine.

The real question is why do you need to restore.

Perhaps the problem that you're trying to resolve with a system restore, can be fixed by other means.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 daveleonard

daveleonard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

Hello Rocky, thanks for the reply. Here is the info I should have given to begin with. I have an Acer Aspire 4736Z laptop. I will paste my complete info below. The reason I wanted to restore to a previous time is that something perculliar is going on with my pc. None of my Apps: Firefox, Chrome, MalwareBytes, Avast, etc.etc. show up when I go to the control panel as if I wanted to uninstall an app I find only windows files there. I thought that by using restore I could get back to where I was before. Lately I have been downloading my new apps to D instead of C but should that make a difference. I didn't think so. Anyway thats why I was looking into restore but then I find out restore won't work so I thought maybe I had a deeper problem. I have been trying to use restore from within windows only. I cannot even get to SafeMode. When I do a shut down the only option that comes up before the windows window is an option for F2 which only takes me to bios. The F8 option that used to be there, is not. When I try to use f8 when I boot, nothing happens and boot continues. At this point I wouldn't even know how to get to a partition or to safe mode.

I can still uninstall apps manually if I need to so I'm not really sure if I have all that big of a problem. I am just used to using my Revo Uninstaller but now the apps don't even show up in their lists either. Really strange. I cannot now download win 7 online because, as you mentioned, I would need the key. All of that was lost when I moved. Thanks

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1977 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 796 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 102373 MB, Free - 76724 MB; D: Total - 135998 MB, Free - 131923 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 4736Z
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Using SmartBro Pocket Wifi home use

One other thing I noticed I just want to add is: when the globe is clicked in the lower left corner usually what happens is a list of the apps appears. Now all that appears is the Windows Media Player icon. I don't know what I have done but I hope its just an adjustment that needs to be made. Thanks again, dave

Edited by daveleonard, 05 September 2014 - 05:35 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

None of my Apps: Firefox, Chrome, MalwareBytes, Avast, etc.etc. show up when I go to the control panel as if I wanted to uninstall an app I find only windows files there

Do you mean by add or remove programs utility?

Lately I have been downloading my new apps to D instead of C but should that make a difference.

If downloading to a different location, that would be ok or much better since your keeping the C partition or system drive clutter free. Unless you mean installing them to D partition...?

Do you see any recovery (tag or name) from D or is it just a data drive?

Is Windows 7 Ultimate the original edition installed?

Do you see any product key stickers from the laptop below?

Tekken

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

1) You may not be tapping the F8 key quick enough. Start tapping at a rate of 3 times per second right after turning the power on.

I found someone on Google, who says that F5 might work on that model.

2) Trying to do a system Restore was the smart thing to do under those circumstances. Too bad it doesn't work.

3) A lot of those symptoms sound like a bad virus and/or malware. You could start by scanning with free Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (be careful to not accept the trial versions on both).

4) Downloading and/or installing apps on the D drive would not be responsible for the problems you have.

5) When you only find Windows files in Programs and Features, do they look like Windows Updates? If so, is there an option at the top left that says "Uninstall a Program"?

6) When you open the Task Manager under the Processes tab, do you see any unrecognized programs running there?

PS: If you right click on "My Computer" icon and hit "Manage", then hit "Disk Management" on the left hand side of the subsequent window, then another window will open, showing your hard drive and the partitions and if you have a recovery partition (which you surely do), it will be visible.

Edited by rockysosua, 05 September 2014 - 08:10 AM.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,031 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

I don't know if this is your case but avast! had problems in that is prevented a system restore. One thing to try is to disable avast's self protection in settings and then try doing a system restore.

#10 daveleonard

daveleonard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:27 PM

jhayz, forgive me if I don't get this right. I mean, when I click on control panel from within windows, I am taken to thr control panel showing different (8) options. One of thoses options is (uninstall a program). Clicking on that should produce a list of apps to uninstall, mostly that list is made up of windows items. Two or three of my apps are there but the majority of my apps are not. Incidently, those that are there are from C drive.

No, D drive is just a data drive. I started putting new apps there because C had many more apps than D.

I see no tag or name for D drive, its just data.

Win 7 ultimate is not the original os that came with the pc, it was win 7 starter.

Just the Aspire product key is on the botton of the pc.

#11 daveleonard

daveleonard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Rockey, I started hitting f8 immediately when start up began, I even held it down on one instance but then the pc froze and started making loud noise. I will try again next time I reboot, also f5.

I did recently have a bad virus (worm) on my system. Msil: Blada Bindi IT I believe it was called. I took care of that problem by doing a boot scan with Avast, running MalwareBytes, Farbar recovery tool, I also have mini tool box by Farbar, I ran MBam and aAdw Cleaner. My latest scan shows no malware of any kind presently.

No, the files do not look like updates.

There are a lot of services and processes running in Task Manager but just what I am using in Applications.

I will try to attach a snap shot of my Computer Management.  Thanks

Attached Files

#12 daveleonard

daveleonard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

John C, thanks John but it didn't work. I tried Restore again but I keep getting the same error about Restore not working. I did diconnect Avast but it still won't work. See attached.

Attached Files

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Unfortunately, you do not have a recovery partition, leaving you with only two options, to fix/repair what you have or to install a whole new operating system.

I'm sure you already know this but it's worth repeating, that if you plan on installing a new OS, you must back up your data first as well as get your Windows activation key, if it's not on a sticker on the machine.

If you don't have the sticker, you can use a program like BelArc to find the Activation key.

Edited by rockysosua, 05 September 2014 - 08:37 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

Two or three of my apps are there but the majority of my apps are not.

Are the applications mentioned able to run and present in your desktop shortcut exe icons? Do you see or trace them installed in Program Files?

We need to check some hardware information from your computer.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Do you still have the product sticker key for your Windows 7 Starter Edition?

Tekken

#15 Andrei_Vas

Andrei_Vas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

John C, thanks John but it didn't work. I tried Restore again but I keep getting the same error about Restore not working. I did diconnect Avast but it still won't work. See attached.

Avast needs to prevented from loading at boot, otherwise Restore will not work.

Use msconfig > Start Up items, remove avast from the start up list, then try Restoring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users