Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open any .exe file due to "Internet security settings"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 TRL1995

TRL1995

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

I cannot open any .exe due to "Internet security settings". I have looked around and for everyone else this seemed to be any easy fix by going to internet options and turning "Launching applications and unsafe files" from "Disable" to "Prompt". However for me it was already on "Prompt".

My suspicion is that this is a virus primarily because it won't let me open any .exe thus not allowing me to open programs like anti-virus software. I have also tried opening cmd and regedit to no success.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

TRL1995

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

Scanning with Malwarebytes and Superantispyware would be a good start, if you could start anything, but given your situation, you'd either have to pull the drive out and slave it to another machine to scan and clean it, or maybe if you're lucky, it might work in Safe Mode.

Have you tried it yet? (Usually by tapping F8 at start up)

All is well in Paradise.

#3 TRL1995

TRL1995
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the quick response. It won't let me boot up into safe mode. I forgot to mention that it completely reset my desktop but didn't delete my content (which I thought was odd). I have slaved the drive and both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are scanning it as i'm writing this message. 

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

First of all -welcome to BC !

Assuming that these scans find malware which they are not capable of dealing with themselves, or if they appear to but the problem re-occurs, then the best thing you can do is start a topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC.

If you do finish up posting there, copy the URL of this topic into your first post there as a reference for whoever helps you. Also, if you do post there. please make a brief post here to say that you are doing so. Then I or another moderator can close this topic to avoid confusion. It may also help you to read the guides at the start of the 'Am I infected?' section.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 TRL1995

TRL1995
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

Post continues on:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546948/computer-is-most-likely-infected-please-help/

Please feel free to close this topic to avoid confusion.

Many Thanks,

TRL1995.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 September 2014 - 04:04 AM.
Posted in 'Am I infected?'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users