Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tower display suddenly stopped working.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

(not sure that this is the right place for this so i apologize in advance)

I've been using my flat screen as a monitor using an hdmi cable. The tv works grand and I tested out the hdmi cable on my laptop with no issues, but I get nothing from my tower. I just booted it up one day and nothing came up on the screen. I didn't move it, unplug anything, pour liquid on it, yada yada. The only thing I can think of that may have done something was a power blink during a gnarly storm that abruptly shut it off. When I start it up it gives three ~2 second long beeps but I think it may have done that before the display went out, I'm not totally sure. I haven't tried a VGA cable but both walmart and target have weird new versions that I don't think would work with my TV and even if I did I don't have the money to drop $25 on a fancy cable.

It's a ProMagix E2010 and I'm just going to list off the specs from the sticker on the case.

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400

Video card - 256MB eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

Motherboard - Intel 965x motherboard

RAM - 1024MB Corsair Memory

And the original hard drive was switched out with a 1TB that I don't know anything about.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

According to this article (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm), 3 beeps on an Intel motherboard indicates a memory (RAM) error. The article has some troubleshooting steps, but here is what I would recommend: If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, remove them all and test with one in at a time to see if any of them will work by themselves. Also, make sure when you reinsert the RAM that the sticks are firmly inserted (but don't push too hard!). If you only have one stick, just remove and reinsert to see if that helps.

-- Matt

#3 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

According to this article (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010249.htm), 3 beeps on an Intel motherboard indicates a memory (RAM) error. The article has some troubleshooting steps, but here is what I would recommend: If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, remove them all and test with one in at a time to see if any of them will work by themselves. Also, make sure when you reinsert the RAM that the sticks are firmly inserted (but don't push too hard!). If you only have one stick, just remove and reinsert to see if that helps.

There was indeed a bad stick of RAM. And the display still doesn't work.

I tested all of the RAM, pulled out the CMOS battery, reset the jumper, reseated the video card, and nothing. What the hell.

#4 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried removing the Nvidia graphics card and using the onboard graphics?

Also, when you say:

I tested out the hdmi cable on my laptop with no issues

Do you mean you plugged your laptop into the same monitor with the same HDMI cable, or you only tested the HDMI cable (plugged into a different monitor)?

Edited by kokomodrums, 04 September 2014 - 02:01 PM.

-- Matt

#5 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried removing the Nvidia graphics card and using the onboard graphics?

Also, when you say:

I tested out the hdmi cable on my laptop with no issues

Do you mean you plugged your laptop into the same monitor with the same HDMI cable, or you only tested the HDMI cable (plugged into a different monitor)?

There isn't any onboard.

I plugged the same exact hdmi cable in to the same exact hdmi port on the same exact monitor (and I tested the other two hdmi ports aswell. zilch.)

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Some of this you may have already done, 

Take the computer apart, look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard and video cards etc examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&noj=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Iz_YU6aDLsS2yASnjoKwAQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1031&bih=603 please report any caps you suspect may be bad, you can take a picture and post here if you are unsure.

Make sure you have the computer unplugged from power while removing or moving any hardware...

Try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time (remove all other ram sticks). Move it to the next slot until you have tried that stick in all slots by itself. If you still have no post, try a different stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have issues with the stick in 1 particular slot (a no post for example) the slot may be bad. It is also possible you have a bad stick of ram instead of the slot being bad, in this case the ram stick should cause the same problem all slots.

If you never get video with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot (trying all sticks by themselves) try removing all non essential hardware and then power on:

Disconnect pci cards, pci-e cards - except a video card unless you have onboard in which case use the onboard video and pull the video card, hard drives, dvd drives, disconnect all usb headers as well. You should only have the power supply, main board, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the cpu and cpu cooler connected. You can also plug in a monitor and keyboard. Now try to power on the machine. If at this point you have no post screen or video etc, unplug the computer and pull the stick of ram, power back on and listen for a post fault beep code, you will need to hook up a motherboard speaker to hear any post fault code. Let me know the beep code, it seems your board is still working to some extent by the 3 beeps you had initially.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

What is the exact model # of your motherboard? The only reference to "Intel 965x" I see on Google is to an i7 processor or the 965 chipset.

Nevermind, I just wanted to double check there was no onboard graphics -- this article/pictures confirmed it: http://www.cnet.com/products/velocity-promagix-e2010/

The graphics card could be dead. I would second zingo156's advice of looking for swollen/leaking capacitors on the video card and motherboard. Unfortunately, without having a second video card or onboard graphics, it will be hard to eliminate the video card as a suspect.

Edited by kokomodrums, 04 September 2014 - 02:33 PM.

-- Matt

#8 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

The graphics card could be dead. I would second zingo156's advice of looking for swollen/leaking capacitors on the video card and motherboard. Unfortunately, without having a second video card or onboard graphics, it will be hard to eliminate the video card as a suspect.

I checked for blown capacitors and all of them looked just fine. Looks like it's the video card ;(

I'm going to text the guy who sold me the computers and see if he can bring up a new one (like, one with a fan this time you cock)

Maybe I can get him to replace that RAM aswell.

I'll report back if I get it working.

#9 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

Update time!

So I was talking with my friend and my busted video card came up and he just so happened to have a spare, hardly used, bad ass video card that fit my computer. Sweet. I go home, install it, and then I realize it has mini hdmi. Great. I run to walmart, pick up a suitable cable, run home, plug it in. Nothing. Fan-bleep-tastic. I went in and connected the fan and reset the bios. HALLELUJAH I GET DISPLAY!!! I put the jumper back, restarted, and chose "start windows normally". Then my computer just restarted itself. Tried again, same thing. I went in to launch up or start up repair, whatever it's called, and I restore and restart. This time when I go in to normal mode however, I saw a blue screen for half a second and then it restarted itself again. I sat in launch up repair again but this time it couldn't find a solution. I couldn't see what was on the blue screen because it went away so quickly.

It's just one thing after another. Fix one problem and another arises. pls halp

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

Try to boot to safe mode: after powering on the machine, start tapping F8 on your keyboard repeatedly until you see the advanced boot options menu, use the arrow keys to select "safe mode" and then hit enter on the keyboard, uninstall the old video card drivers and reboot, if you get a blue screen booting to safe mode, follow the same method to get to the advanced boot menu options but this time select "last known good configuration" and hit enter. If neither of those work, you can try the "repair option" which should be at the top and then from there try a system restore point, DO NOT do a factory restore at this point.

Edited by zingo156, 12 September 2014 - 08:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

It sounds like you have (for now) solved the hardware issue, and now you are just dealing with a Windows boot error. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If so, you can get the "minidump" file created by the blue screen error, which someone here can look at to identify any issues. I'm going to send a message to one of the users here who works with minidump files who may be able to assist you.

-- Matt

#12 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

It sounds like you have (for now) solved the hardware issue, and now you are just dealing with a Windows boot error. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking? If so, you can get the "minidump" file created by the blue screen error, which someone here can look at to identify any issues. I'm going to send a message to one of the users here who works with minidump files who may be able to assist you.

I was unable to enter advanced boot options so I can't get the minidump or install drivers or anything. I can either enter bios or let it take me to the screen that asks if I want to start normally or launch startup repair. Holding down f8 doesn't work either, the computer will just angrily beep at me until I let go of the key.

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Assuiming this is not windows 8 (anything earlier F8 should bring you to the advanced boot menu options):

You don't hold the key. Power the computer completely off, then power it on, right after pressing the power button start tapping F8 on the keyboard, keep tapping it until you get to the adcanced boot menu options.

By tapping I mean press and release many times in a row every second.

Edited by zingo156, 12 September 2014 - 01:29 PM.

#14 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Assuiming this is not windows 8 (anything earlier F8 should bring you to the advanced boot menu options):

You don't hold the key. Power the computer completely off, then power it on, right after pressing the power button start tapping F8 on the keyboard, keep tapping it until you get to the adcanced boot menu options.

It's definitely windows 7. I was just holding it because the velocity micro site said so.

Just tried again, tapped f8 right after powering on. It still just beeps and then continues on, ignoring me. Is it perhaps a different key? I just tried f12 and it beeped at me again. I can't even open boot options. How incredibly frustrating.

#15 mountaindewandvodka

mountaindewandvodka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:46 PM

I finally got it to work after I did startup repair and shut down, but when I opened safe mode with networking I got another blue screen. Trying regular safe mode also gave a blue screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users